Friday, January 02, 2009

Doing the 99 Things Meme

I have not done one of these things in a while, and it seems like an amusing thing to do as a year closes and new one starts. This is as seen in Ruminations. The instructions:

Things you’ve already done: bold
Things you want to do: italicize
Things you haven’t done and don’t want to - leave in plain font

The items then (with the usual snarky commentary as needed):

1. Started your own blog. I have this one for the fun stuff, The Gypsy Librarian for the professional stuff, and Alchemical Thoughts for things I am not quite sure what to do with. Alchemical Thoughts was also a way to try out the Vox system.


2. Slept under the stars. I camped as a Boy Scout. I also did some camping when I lived in Indiana.

3. Played in a band.


4. Visited Hawaii. I did this when I went to my brother's wedding. He was in the Navy, and stationed there at the time. He is the one who now lives in Australia. I loved the place (actually,weather-wise and environment-wise, it is very similar to Puerto Rico). But I was not too thrilled with the bad plane ride there.

5. Watched a meteor shower.

6. Given more than you can afford to charity. No, but I do give to charity when I can.

7. Been to Disneyland/world. I have been to Disney World (the one in Orlando, FL). Would like to see the one in California, but I still prefer the one in Orlando.


8. Climbed a mountain. El Yunque peak in Puerto Rico.


9. Held a praying mantis.

10. Sang a solo.

11. Bungee jumped. I definitely do not want to do this.

12. Visited Paris.

13. Watched a lightning storm at sea.

14. Taught yourself an art from scratch. Not sure what I would like to learn, but I would be willing to try something someday.

15. Adopted a child. I already have a child of my own, so no intention to adopt another.

16. Had food poisoning.

17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty. I have been in NYC, and I went by the Statue on boat. At the time, the Statue was closed to the public, so only got to see it from afar.


18. Grown your own vegetables.

19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France.


20. Slept on an overnight train.


21. Had a pillow fight.

22. Hitch hiked.

23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill. It's called a "mental health day." People should use them more often.

24. Built a snow fort.

25. Held a lamb.

26. Gone skinny dipping.

27. Run a marathon.

28. Ridden a gondola in Venice.

29. Seen a total eclipse.

30. Watched a sunrise or sunset. I have done both.

31. Hit a home run.

32. Been on a cruise.

33. Seen Niagara Falls in person.

34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors.

35. Seen an Amish community.

36. Taught yourself a new language.

37.Had enough money to be truly satisfied. Hmm, this is a trick question. Way I see it, if I can pay the bills, feed the family, and do some small fun thing now and then, I am set. Having said that, I could use some more moolah.

38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person.

39. Gone rock climbing.

40. Seen Michelangelo’s David in person.

41. Sung Karaoke. I did this at the end of my student teaching. I can do a mean "La Bamba" if you get me at the right time (and so could the assistant principal back then who sang a duet with me).

42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt.

43. Bought a stranger a meal in a restaurant. I am not sure if people do that sort of thing anymore, but I would like to think I would if the opportunity presented itself.

44. Visited Africa.

45. Walked on a beach by moonlight.

46. Been transported in an ambulance.

47. Had your portrait painted.

48. Gone deep sea fishing.

49. Seen the Sistine chapel in person.

50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

51. Gone scuba diving or snorkelling.

52. Kissed in the rain.

53. Played in the mud.

54. Gone to a drive-in theatre.

55. Been in a movie.

56. Visited the Great Wall of China.

57. Started a business.

58. Taken a martial arts class. I took a demo lesson once when I visited a friend's dojo. This is one of those things I would love to do if I could find the time.

59. Visited Russia.

60. Served at a soup kitchen.

61. Sold Girl Scout cookies. Not me, but my daughter sells them every year.

62. Gone whale watching.

63. Gotten flowers for no reason.

64. Donated blood. I did it quite often in my early college days. I have not done it recently.

65. Gone sky diving.

66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp.

67. Bounced a cheque.

68. Flown in a helicopter.

69. Saved a favorite childhood toy. I still have the case with my original Star Wars action figures.

70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial.

71. Eaten Caviar. It's not that much of a big deal.

72. Pieced a quilt.

73. Stood in Times Square.

74. Toured the Everglades.

75. Been fired from a job.

76. Seen the Changing of the Guard in London.

77. Broken a bone. I have been very fortunate in this regard. I have had stitches a couple of times, but no broken bones.

78. Been on a speeding motorcycle. I want to learn to ride a motorcycle, but not speed in one.

79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person.

80. Published a book.

81. Visited the Vatican.

82. Bought a brand new car. My first car was new. Now with a little more experience, I think gently used is the way to go.

83. Walked in Jerusalem.

84. Had your picture in the newspaper.

85. Read the entire Bible. And it was the Catholic version (with all the books the protestants leave out).

86. Visited the White House. I have been in D.C., just not to the White House. Anyhow, the Smithsonian is way cooler.

87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating. Chicken.

88. Had chickenpox. I got it right after that cruise (see above). Apparently someone had it in the boat and passed it along. A bunch of us came down with it.

89. Saved someone’s life.

90. Sat on a jury.

91. Met someone famous. The governor of Puerto Rico (at the time. I was a kid). I have also met a few writers.

92. Joined a book club. Not interested in this (I know: I am a librarian admitting that. Go figure).

93. Lost a loved one. Mom passed away this year. Prior to that, an aunt and my baptism godfather (I also have a confirmation godfather. He is still alive and kicking. The thing about being raised Catholic: you have plenty of family to watch over you).

94. Had a baby. Actually, my wife did; I just helped (wink wink).

95. Seen the Alamo in person.

96. Swum in the Great Salt Lake.

97. Been involved in a law suit.

98. Owned a cell phone. Still do.

99. Been stung by a bee. And by wasps too; they hurt like hell.

I noticed a lot of things I want to do fall under travel. Given that I hate plane trips as they are now (lousy service, bad airports, surly overzealous security, so on), it seems my odds are slim I will fly overseas. Anyone out there is welcome to try to convince me otherwise. I do hear international flights are a bit more bearable than the crap that passes for domestic air travel. The flight I took to PR for mom's memorial was certainly a good example of what is wrong with American air travel, but I am digressing.

As for tagging people, I don't do that. If it moves you, go right ahead.

No comments: