Friday, July 02, 2010

Five or so movies I like

The Blag Hag (Jennifer McCreight) did it, so did Pharyngula (P.Z. Myers), so why the heck not? Like Dr. Myers, I am not sure I have best movies. I am more into movies I like a lot. So, let me just type a while, and see how many I get. These are basically movies that I like a lot, and they are movies that I can watch over and over. These are the movies that if they come up on TV, I will sit down and watch. It does not matter if I catch it at the beginning or not. If it's on, and I find it flipping channels, I will stop and watch it. For what it's worth, I am adding a comment or two.

  • The Godfather. I have the complete set on DVD, and I still watch it when it shows up on cable too. The first one is the best one. The second one is good; personally I think the segments on the rise of young Vito Corleone are a lot more interesting than the main story, but that's me. The third one is not so good, but I end up watching it anyways. Since I have read the book, I also find it interesting to note where the movie deviates and what it leaves out. Still, the film captures the novel pretty well. In the end, there are a few good lessons in this film. I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but one of my favorite lines is Don Corleone reminding Johnny Fontane, his godson, that " a man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
  • Patton. I find the general's life interesting, but I also like it because it is the story of a guy who takes no guff from anyone in order to get results. Sure, the movie does romanticize him, but George C. Scott puts forth a fine performance, as does Karl Malden. One of my favorite lines: Lt. Col. Charles R. Codman, who is handed a letter while riding through the newly liberated Palermo tells Patton, "This is from from General Alexander, sir, reminding you that you are not to take Palermo." Patton's reply is just classic: "Send him a message, Cod. Ask him if he wants me to give it back."
  • Pulp Fiction. I love the structure of this film. It has great performances from a great cast, and it is just a cool movie overall. My favorite character in the film is Mr. Wolf (because he solves problems), followed by Jules. A lot of good lines here, but this one by Mia is good in its simple truth: "That's when you know you've found somebody special. When you can just shut the fuck up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence."
  • Conan the Barbarian. In the fantasy genre, this is one of my absolute favorites. While not perfect, the film does capture the feel of Howard's character and world. There are a couple of lines in the film I like, but this has to be my favorite, uttered by Valeria: "All the gods, they cannot sever us. If I were dead and you were still fighting for life, I'd come back from the darkness. Back from the pit of hell to fight at your side." I will also watch the sequel, Conan the Destroyer, but I will admit it is not as good as the first one. It is still entertaining.
  • Krull. I have not watched this in a while, but it remains one of my favorites in the fantasy genre. A scene that sticks with me is Ynir's meeting with the the Widow of the Web, where he sees her as beautiful as she used to be when no one else does so. The Widow of the Web tells him, "Your vision is your gift to me," to which he replies, "And your vision [as in her power of prophecy] can be your gift to me. " If that is not romantic, I am not sure what is. Plus, it's an entertaining quest movie overall.
  • The Outlaw Josey Wales. Not sure why, but I always end up watching this. I like some of Clint Eastwood's westerns better than others. High Plains Drifter is another favorite. In that one, I love the whole eerie element to it. Maybe some of it is appeal of the quiet guy that just wants to have a peaceful life, and people have to come and mess with him. Then all hell breaks loose.
  • Tombstone. Here is another one I end up watching when it is on. My favorite scene is when Wyatt Earp returns to town to exact his revenge. I love the whole "you messed with the wrong guy" vibe. The guy just wanted to retire and earn a few bucks. Is that really so hard? But nay, nay, nay, the bad guys have to come and ruin everything. Sometimes you have to draw the line. As Wyatt says, " You tell 'em I'M coming... and hell's coming with me, you hear?..."
  • Blazing Saddles. This movie is just a hoot, pure and simple. And it has plenty of good lines. Hedley Lamarr's list is one of my favorites: "I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists." Unfortunately, Taggart was not quite able to write all that down.

No comments: