"List 3 things you do that are 'old fashioned'?"
Here are my three things as I posted them on the site, with some minor comments I am adding here:
- I carry and use a pocket watch. I got tired of wearing a wristwatch after the belt kept getting caught in places and breaking. The pocket watch looks nice, works well, and at times, it gives me something to fiddle with if I need to keep my hands busy, say during some slow times.
- I recently acquired a fountain pen, and it is becoming my favorite writing instrument [I use it more at work and as a signature pen]. I do love the way it writes so smoothly. Plus, it is a nice pen, which makes for a nice conversation piece at times.
- I would not have thought it old fashioned at first, but I concur with some other people here. I do read actual books, not e-books. I am a librarian, and while I am familiar with e-books, I still prefer good old fashioned paper books. For one, I own them. An e-book is something you lease (you don't really own them. If you think you own them, and you have a Kindle, for instance, you should know they can certainly just make your book vanish on a whim as recent Amazon fracas have done). Plus, I do like books on my shelves. As someone once said, a house without books is like a body without a soul.
- Good manners
- Home cooked meals when possible
- The art of conversation
- Correct grammar and proper vocabulary
- Being a gentleman
- Write in notebooks (like my personal journal)
- Use libraries (not just working in one, but using them to find reading material)
- Still write drafts on paper rather than typing
- Iron my clothes
- Write with non-mechanical pencils
- Brew my own coffee
- Not as much these days, but when I can I play and enjoy tabletop and board games
- Hold doors open for strangers
- Handwrite as much as possible
- Still listen to cassette tapes in the car (hey, I have an old fashioned car)
- Send handwritten thank you notes
- Say "please" and "thank you"
- Listen to classical music, some "oldies"
- Love wandering, browsing, and shopping in used bookstores
- I know how to use a paper map
- I know how to use a compass too
- I know how to waltz. Not something I've much use for now, but I know how
- I still use a bank teller as much as I can
Oh well, that is my list now. What are things you do that may be seen as old fashioned? Feel free to add to the list in the comments.