Monday, January 13, 2020

Reading down the backlist in 2020

As I stated when I signed up for the Mount TBR Reading Challenge, I was taking a break from reading challenges since 2017. Now that I am back, I figured the Backlist Reader Challenge could work for me since a lot of what I read is backlist, and some of the books here will work for the Mount TBR challenge as well. So here we go.



The detail highlights for the Backlist Reader Challenge 2020:

  • You can sign up here. It also has the full rules. 
  • Challenge runs from January 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020.
  • This is for books that have been on the TBR list for a good while. It can be books you own or books that you have wanted to read. 
  • Books have to be published before 2019, and they do have to be on your TBR already. For me, I can go back and check my GoodReads TBR shelf or the series of TBR posts over at Alchemical Thoughts for ideas. In addition, books I may be reading for Mount TBR will likely count; if they have been sitting on my shelf, they are on the TBR if I have not read them.
  • Any format works: print, e-book, audiobook. 
  • You can pick your level. I am going to keep it modest and just match my commitment to the Mount TBR challenge, so let's start with 12 books. I will keep adding more if I get past 12. 
  • I will tally the books on the list as I read them. I will link the titles to reviews as I post the reviews online. 
  • Social media hashtag for this challenge: #BacklistReader. 

List of books read for this challenge:

  1. Nicolas Pileggi, Wise Guy: Life in a Mafia Family.
  2. Robert Scott, Rivers of Blood.  
  3. Reid Mitenbuler, Bourbon Empire (audiobook edition).
  4. Jim Davis, Garfield Fat Cat 3-Pack, Volume 20
  5. Neil Gaiman, Norse Mythology (audiobook edition).
  6. Dan Abnett, Titanicus (Warhammer, 40000).
  7. Jim Davis, Garfield Nutty as a Fruitcake: His 66th Book
  8. René Goscinny and Albert Uderzo, Asterix Omnibus 1
  9. Stephan Pastis, Pearls Blows Up: A Pearls Before Swine Treasury.
  10. Anthony Louis, Tarot Plain and Simple
  11. Yoshinori Natsume, Batman: Death Mask
  12. Charles Brandt, I Heard You Paint Houses
  13. Selwyn Raab, Five Families (audiobook edition).
  14. Peter Maas, Underboss (audiobook edition). 
  15. Naomi S. Baron, Words Onscreen
  16. Ciro Marchetti, Legacy of the Divine Tarot (kit with book and card deck). 
  17. Steve Parker, Deathwatch (Warhammer 40000). 
  18. Heidi Darras (artist) and Barbara Moore (book author), Mystic Dreamer Tarot (kit with book and card deck). 
  19. Jessica Alaire, Vivid Journey Tarot (kit with book and card deck).
  20. T.J. English, Where the Bodies Were Buried.



Update note (9/7/2020): With 20 books read and reviewed, I can declare this reading challenge done for the year. I may add other books that qualify, but for the most part, this is done. I am focusing on the other reading challenges for this year.



No comments: