Friday, August 14, 2020

Deck Review: Pictorial Key Tarot

Davide Corsi, Pictorial Key Tarot. Woodbury, MN: Llewellyn, 2008. ISBN: 978-0738712895. (Published by Lo Scarabeo; Llewellyn distributes it in the U.S.).

Genre: divination, card decks
Subgenre: Tarot
Format: 78 card deck with little white book in tuck box
Source: I own this one.

Justice-XI.
I used this deck during May 2020. I've had it for a while, but I finally got to working with it now. One reason I got this deck is that is by Davide Corsi, who also created the Vampires Tarot of the Eternal Night deck (link to my review) and the Ghost Tarot (review link). I admit that I initially just saw this deck as a mere RWS (Rider Waite Smith) clone, but I found myself warming up to it and enjoying it as I worked with it over the month.

As many Lo Scarabeo decks, we get a little white book (LWB) written in five languages: English, Italian, Spanish, French, and German. The LWB opens mentioning the concept of the Pictorial Key which "has been handed down through the ages thanks to the Anglo-Saxon esoteric schools, from which it extended to all corners of the globe" (3). That is about all you get about the Pictorial Key concept. We are told the deck is "ostensibly simple and essential" (3). That sounds about right as the deck's images are fairly basic and straightforward. The meanings are simple and basic. I will note that some of the meanings may differ a bit from "conventional" RWS meanings. Your mileage may vary,  but if you have been using Tarot a while and/or have experience, you may find some of the variant meanings interesting. I know I did, got a new way or two of looking at a specific card. If you are a new learner, I'd suggest supplementing the LWB with a basic Tarot book. If you read intuitively and/or within RWS, you could skip the LWB. I personally always look over a deck's LWB, but again, your mileage may vary. If you are experienced, you can most likely skip it.

The cards are solidly within the RWS tradition. Yes, this could be considered a clone. A card or two
Ace of Cups.
may vary from RWS, but overall it is a clone. The art is colorful in a 3D style. Colors are mostly bright; this is not a dark deck. I'd say it's a deck you can use year round. Images are expressive and straightforward. I found the deck very easy to read, very accessible. The art style invites you to look deeply into the images.

Since this is a RWS clone, or it feels like one, this can be a good deck for learners. I can see this being a good first deck for a learner. I can also see this as a good workhorse deck, one you can use anytime. For me, this is a deck I can use when reading for others. Also for readers like me who are not fans of traditional RWS, but you want a deck close to it, this is a good option. In some ways, it is a bit of a 3D RWS. If you like that art style, this may be a good deck for you. This is not a deck with a lot of frills. It is basic, simple, direct, and it works. It think that is the strength: it works, and it does so consistently and reliably.

Six of Pentacles.
The cards measure about 4 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches, the standard Lo Scarabeo size. The cards are identified with Roman numerals for the Major Arcana, with Arabic numerals and suit symbols for the Minor Arcana, and court and suit symbol for the court cards. Strength is VIII and Justice is XI. I'll say I do enjoy the minimalist card labels on Lo Scarabeo decks, but that could be an issue for some new learners. The cards have a border, but to me it kind of like a painting or an art work, and you can then gaze into the art.

In the end, I initially did not think much of this deck, but once I got to use it, I warmed up to it. I found myself enjoying it, and I found it provided good readings. This is a deck I'll keep in regular rotation. I really liked it overall.

4 out of 5 stars.

Note: Photos are mine from my deck.


No comments: