Friday, September 18, 2020

Deck Review: Divination of the Ancients oracle deck

 Barbara Meiklejohn-Free, Flavia Kate Peters, and Richard Crookes, Divination of the Ancients (oracle deck).Woodbury, MN: Llewellyn, 2016. ISBN: 978-1-922161-92-5. (link to publisher)
 
Card: Handwriting. Keyword: Authenticity. From Divination of the Ancients oracle deck
Card: Handwriting
Keyword: Authenticity

The kit comes with 45 cards and a small guidebook. The guidebook includes an introduction and then the card meanings. The introduction includes a short description of what the deck does, a guided visualization (sort of a meditation prompt), divination through the ages (a very short historical overview of divination), instructions on reading the cards, and a couple of spreads to try out. We then get the card meanings. For each card, the book includes a small black and white photo of the card, the card meaning, an incantation, other divinatory meanings (some additional divinatory meaning ideas), the card revealed (a note on history of the card's divination tool). You get about two pages of content per card. Overall, the book is basic and easy to read. Content is useful and defines the cards well. The cards are fairly intuitive, but I'd recommend reading the book or at least look over the card meanings when using the deck. For me, there were some divination forms I was not familiar with, and the book gave me a start for learning something new. 

The cards' artwork by Richard Crookes is nice, bright, and colorful. Each card features the art, name of
Card: Augur
Keyword: Mastery

the card, and a keyword. As I mentioned, the deck has some forms of divination I did not know, so there is room for learning. With 45 cards, you get 45 divination forms. I used the deck mainly for a weekly draw to have a card for reflection during the week. This may be an interesting deck to do a spread or two. I also see this deck as a bit of a learning tool to learn about different divination practices. 

Overall, I really like this deck. I like its concept that works as a learning tool as well as a divinatory tool. I think you can read them intuitively, at least many of the cards, but keeping the book handy may help (at least while you get acquainted with the deck). I like the art very much. Cards measure 5 1/4 inches by 3 1/2 inches give or take. The cards are not numbered. If your hands are small, it may take some work to shuffle the deck. The card stock is good, a bit flexible, with a bit of a glossy finish. In the end, I really like this deck, and I am glad to have it in my collection. I wish the guidebook had more substance, but it does offer enough to get you started. 

4 out of 5 stars. 

This card deck kits qualifies for the following 2020 Reading Challenges: 





No comments: