Monday, May 22, 2006

So, now they are recording my phone conversations.

Needless to say, I am not happy about this. As if the powers that be had not lied enough, after denials, it turns out they are recording my phone calls and everybody else's. Not that I call anyone they would consider "important," but that's none of their business. So, I don't know about the rest of you out there, but I am certainly supportive of any and all efforts to make them accountable. Last I looked, this was not the Soviet Union, and I don't think that brave soldiers are fighting around the world just so we lose our liberties at home. Benjamin Franklin said it pretty well, "any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. " So when people who for some reason are ok with this say something stupid along the lines of "but you have no civil liberties if you are dead," I cannot help but wonder if patriots like Patrick Henry, who said that famous line of give me liberty or give death, are rolling on their graves or not about now. You can find the story on the U.S. Senator who said it here (via TPM Blog), and you may want to also read what Patrick Henry actually said here, which by the way, looks very relevant. I don't know about him, but I am not one of those to say, "oh, spare me the pain and take my rights and freedoms away." And feel free to take a look at the EFF and their efforts to make the phone companies that folded like a cheap suit accountable.


EFF v. AT&T

No comments: