Friday, July 03, 2009

Some links for the 4th of July 2009

In the United States, the 4th of July is Independence Day. Where I come from, it's basically when the Americans celebrate their independence, and depending who you ask, they may point out how ironic given that the U.S. keeps a colony (namely Puerto Rico, but as I said, it depends on who you ask).

Anyhow, in the interest of the holiday, here are some links for your edification and/or amusement:

Eating? Here are some ideas:
Are you drinking this 4th of July? Please do so in moderation. Here are some places to get some cocktail and drink ideas:
Of course, this selection would not be complete without a word or two about the fireworks:

Whatever you do, do not follow the example of the LAAF (Liberation Army Against Freedom) when it comes to fireworks and explosives. It is not very politically correct, but it is funny. For example:





And finally, it is said that the Declaration of Independence may have been meant to be performed rather than just read on a text. Here we have a dramatic reading (if you are impatient, the reading itself starts at 4:45, but watching the beginning is well worth it too. Just watch the whole thing). I leave my three readers with this, and for the ones in the U.S. (or Americans abroad), I wish you a happy and safe 4th of July.



Declaration of Independence reading video found via YesButNoButYes.

And for reference purposes, here is the post on the library display we did for the 4th of July and American Independence, from my workplace's blog.


Update note (7/8/09): I came across this after I made the post, but I am sure someone probably experienced one of the experiences on the list. Here are "7 Things That Will Happen at Your Family 4th of July BBQ." (via Holy Taco). In my case (not this year, but in the past, I have had the older relative who would say a racist thing or two. The stories I could tell).

No comments: