Friday, December 02, 2011

Reading: One to Ten (yes, this is a reading meme)

As seen in Ruminations, who saw it someplace else, and so on. I am doing this because I always fall for memes when they are related to reading and books. Any snark or comments are mine. You can find details for most of these books in my GoodReads profile, which is linked on the right side column of the blog.

  1. The book I am currently reading. My three readers likely know that I usually have more than one book going. I am currently reading the following: Pat Willard, America Eats! On the Road With the WPA; Kevin Smith, Kevin Smith's Green Hornet, Vol. 2; Sandy Mitchell, Cain's Last Stand (Warhammer 40,000, Ciaphas Cain series #6); José Martí, La Edad de Oro
  2. The last book I finished. Kozue Kaiko and Goseki Kojima, Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 3: The Flute of the Fallen Tiger.
  3. The next book I want to read. Gosh, there are all sorts of books I want to read next. I have various lists, in print and online (in my GoodReads and on the scratch pad blog, where I have a series of posts on "Items about books I want to read") of books I want to read next or in the near future. So, I am going to pick one. Penn Jillette's God No!Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales. I tried getting it via ILL, but apparently it is too new, and the libraries out there either had it checked out or were not willing to lend it outside just yet. Yes, I will be putting another request for it in the future. I also have on deck Lisa Abend's The Sorcerer's Apprentices: A Season in the Kitchen at Ferran Adrià's El Bulli. The ILL request on this came through, so I should be starting it soon after I finish Willard's WPA book. 
  4. The last book I bought. Actually, I had a recent pleasant trip out of town to visit Half Price Books, so I did buy a few things including Mark Millar's Wolverine: Enemy of the State and Frank Tieri's Punisher Noir. I already read Tieri's book.
  5. The last book I was given. Simon Beecroft and Jeremy Becket, Lego Star Wars Visual Dictionary. My daughter gave it to me. I have to get around to reading it (I have been looking through it here and there) and putting it in my GoodReads lists.
  6. The last book I borrowed from the library. I currently have two books on loan from the local public library. One is Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives: An All-American Road Trip. . .With Recipes. The other is Paul Collins' Sixpence House: Lost in a Town of Books. In addition, I have two books out via my library's ILL, which are the Willard and the Abend already mentioned.
  7. The first book I read this year. I had to look back a bit for this one. According to the records, that would be Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead, Book One (Hardcover Compilation).
  8. The last translated book you read. If mangas count (since I can't read them in Japanese), then the Lone Wolf and Cub volume previously mentioned. If you want an "actual" book, then Caligula: A Biography by Aloys Winterling, which is translated from German. By the way, finding out that little tidbit after the fact (I borrowed the book from the public library, so not in my hands as I write this)  is not as easy as it looks. WorldCat finally told me that. I did add the translator information into GoodReads so others will have it.
  9. The book at the top of my Christmas list. Hmm, tricky here. I rarely if ever have a specific book I have to have. When it comes to this, just give me a good loaded gift card to a bookstore, and I will pick something out. But if I have to pin something down, I would say the second Ciaphas Cain omnibus, Ciaphas Cain: Defender of the Imperium, or the newest (as of this writing) Ciaphas Cain novel, Emperor's Finest
  10. The so-far unpublished book I am most looking forward to reading. This I am going to leave blank. As I mentioned above, I rarely if ever have a specific book I have to have. I am not susceptible to hype books or bestsellers or hot/popular authors. I read what I like when I feel like it. I have no problem waiting for a book to go on paperback or to make its way to the used books market. So, I will leave this category open. 
What about my three readers?  What are you folks reading? Feel free to share in the comments, or if you reply in your blog or other platform, share the link. 

    No comments: