Friday, August 23, 2013

Book Review: The Reader's Book of Days

Tom Nissley and Joanna Neborsky, The Reader's Book of Days: True Tales from the Lives and Works of Writers for Every Day of the Year. New York: W.W. Norton, 2013.

The title is pretty accurate in describing what the book is about. This is a nice calendar compendium of trivia and facts about writers and readers. It picks up vital dates as well as various curious facts about writers and literature. You also get scandals, hoaxes, romances, rivalries, and other curious facts, events, and anecdotes about writers. The book is arranged as a daily calendar. For a book lover like me, this is a nice and entertaining book. I think people who enjoy reading about books and the reading life will probably enjoy this one. I will add that this would be a good book for libraries to order. It works not just as I described, as a book for readers who like to read about reading. It also works as a good reference and trivia book. As a librarian, I could use this book to add a nice quote here and there on our social media, or I could use it for ideas for book and author displays. The book offers various possibilities. This is a book meant to be browsed, not so much read cover to cover.

Overall, I'd give it a 4 out of 5 stars.

Disclosure note to keep The Man appeased: I was provided with an electronic e-galley of this book via Edelweiss

No comments: