Saturday, January 18, 2014

Reckoning the Mount TBR Challenge 2013

Well, I did not make it up the mountain. Last year, I decided to give the Mount TBR Book Challenge a try. I signed up for the Mount Blanc level (24 books) because I figured, hey, how hard could it be? I have a bunch of books waiting to be read, and a lot of them are not hard reads. This should be a piece of cake. So, naturally, the deity of choice laughed, and I made it a little bit past the base camp. I read 9 books that were on the TBR pile in 2013; I needed 12 for their lowest level, Pike's Peak.



List of books read for the challenge (that met the parameters):

  • Frank Milller, 300. (review)
  • Shouji Sato, Triage X, Vol. 1 (review)
  • QuinRose, Alice in the Country of Clover: Cheshire Cat Waltz, Vol. 1 (review)
  • Robert Lanham,  The Sinner's Guide to the Evangelical Right (review here)
  • Stuart Moore, Wolverine Noir (review here
  • Michael Ashley, The Mammoth Book of Jules Verne Adventures.(review)
  • Tom Taylor, Star Wars: Blood Ties-- A Tale of Jango and Boba Fett
  • Michael A Stackpole, Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron-- Blood and Honor.
  • John Ostrander, Star Wars: Darkness.
In the end, what did me in was my serendipitous way of reading. I tend to read what I like, when I like. I also tend to be a strong library user (both my library and my local public library). 2013 was also the year I began actively reviewing books via NetGalley and, to some extent, Edelweiss. Overall, there were a few shiny objects along the way.

However, I am not one to give up, so I will probably try the 2014 version. What I may try also is find a challenge (or set myself one up) that more closely matches the way I read. So stay tuned, we may yet ride again.

No comments: