Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Booknote: The March, Book One

John Lewis, et.al., March: Book One. Marietta, GA: Top Shelf Productions, 2013. ISBN: 9781603093002.

Genre: Biography, History
Format: Graphic novel

This is the story of Congressman John Lewis in graphic novel form. This is the first volume of a planned trilogy. This volume is the first-hand account of John Lewis' humble beginnings during the Jim Crow era, and it covers his youth in rural Alabama to a life-changing meeting with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., the birth of the Nashville Student Movement and their lunch counter sit-ins to fight segregation. The story at this point ends at the Nashville City Hall.

The frame of the story is quite sweet. Congressman Lewis is getting ready to attend President Obama's first term inauguration. A mother with her sons, constituents, visits his office so her sons can see his office and learn the history (they are not expecting him to be there). Mr. Lewis welcomes them, let's them ask questions, and as they walk, we get the story of his life. It is a nice and tender framing for a great story.

This book offers a very compelling story of the Civil Rights era where a young man finds himself called to fight the injustice around him. The pacing of the story is strong; it is a story that draws you in with good narrative and art that brings it to life. Once I picked it up, I could not put it down. Even though I knew much of this story, Lewis' life story drew me right in. It is an inspiring tale that is a must-read for readers of all ages. My only "peeve," if you can call it that, is that this was Book One, and only because I wanted to keep on reading. It is that good.

Yes, this is a great book to read during Black History Month; It is something different from the "usual" books people suggest for BHM. However, you can read it at any time. I would also suggest it for the reading list of the Civil Rights Tour that my college, Berea College, does every other year. The book is definitely one for all libraries. I enjoyed it very much. I learned more about Mr. Lewis and the times, and I can't wait for the next volume in the series.

I am definitely giving this one 5 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

Joy Weese Moll (@joyweesemoll) said...

Hopped over from the Nonfiction Reading Challenge.

I'm adding this to the books for my Diversity Book Club to consider. We've never done a graphic novel -- but there's always a first time!