Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Booknote: The Killer, Volume 4

Matz, The Killer, Volume 4: Unfair Competition. Los Angeles, CA: Archaia, 2013. ISBN: 978-1-936393-69-5.

 
This series continues to be a pleasure to read as we follow the unnamed hitman (see my review of a previous volume). He decides to retire to Mexico, but his business is not far behind. With his cartel friend Mariano and another partner, he finds himself one of three shadow owners in a new oil company. This may appear to be foreign territory, but even in the corporate world, the Killer finds that his skills are still very much in demand.

The deep character development and study that I discovered and enjoyed in the previous volume continues here. The Killer is a complex man with depth and practicality. The plot of the story in this volume has substance. This really reads like a good geopolitical thriller with good character. I keep saying this would make an excellent film, but I'd rather not have the film knowing how bad Hollywood tends to ruin good things. Jacamon's art continues to be excellent as well. Good use of color, and it has a way to capture the essence of the setting that makes me feel like

I am definitely a fan of this series, and it is one I highly recommend. As noted before, it has a "mature" rating, so this is not for children; besides The Killer's profession, there are some sex scenes. For adults, this book is just fine. It is a good buy for public libraries and academic libraries with recreational reading collections.

I am giving it the full 5 out of 5 stars.

I borrowed this one from the Madison County Public Library, Berea branch.

No comments: