Friday, July 24, 2015

Booknote: Injustice: Gods Among Us, Volume 2

Tom Taylor, et.al., Injustice: Gods Among Us, Volume 2. New York: DC Comics,  2014. ISBN: 978-1-4012-4601-3.

Genre: graphic novels and comics
Subgenre: video games, superheroes
Format: hardback
Source: My local public library

My local library got this one in. Since I read the first volume, I figured I would read the rest. I liked the previous one, but I was not thrilled with it. So I kept my expectations in check. Some issues from the previous volume remained in this one, but some things did get better.

Superman continues to be the big tyrant. He now has Lex Luthor, who survived the disaster in Metropolis, as an advisor of sorts. Batman and his team are all that stand to oppose him, and it is Batman here who points out just how low Superman has fallen. Superman even resorts to torture to get his way. On a side note, this comic was written before the recent revelations from the CIA Torture Report, but in light of that, Superman's behavior (the guy who for many stands for truth, justice, and the American Way) just seems much worse. Wonder Woman, who is fully in Superman's camp, is not that much better. Her scene in an African village is a bit disturbing. Another somewhat shocking moment is the scene towards the end with Superman confronting Batman; this scene seems more taken from another comic to add shock value to this one. I know this is the mechanism to set up the rivalries in the video game, but still most of the heroes on Superman's side are nothing more than outright bullies and tyrants, which for me was a bit of a turn off. Fans of the game may have different views.

On the positive, the story gains more depth in this volume. The path to an ultimate confrontation is coming, and a new element will even the odds for Batman's side. We also see more characters in this volume. Harley Quinn makes an appearance, quite amusing as she can be. There is a bit more substance to the story overall, and there are some more side stories that may be of interest.

The art remains very good in this volume, and it is certainly a good reason to pick up this book. In the end, this series is just a prequel to set up a fighting video game, and the story is leading to that set up. I ended up liking the volume, but not really liking it. I am sure in the end many game fans are likely to pick it up. For other comic book readers, I'd say this is optional.

3 out of 5 stars.

No comments: