Monday, January 25, 2016

Booknote: Me of Little Faith (Audiobook edition)

Lewis Black, Me of Little Faith. New York: Penguin Audio, 2008. ISBN:  9780143143369.

Genre: Audiobooks
Subgenre: humor, comedy, memoir, religion
Format: CD
Source: My local public library.


Let me begin by saying that much of what I wrote when I reviewed the print version of this book applies to my experience reading the audiobook. Here is what I wrote back in 2010 when I read it:

If you like Lewis Black, whether from his stand-up comedy or from his work at The Daily Show, then you will probably like this book. I did not rate it higher because it does slow a bit at the end. However, it is worth reading. Black combines humor with memoir and commentary to reflect on his relationship with religion. More importantly, he reminds us of the importance of humor, especially when it comes to religion. The deity, whatever form it takes, must have a sense of humor, so we should have some sense of humor as well when it comes to religion. The early part of the book is the best part. Along the way, we get a look at politics, G.W. Bush, Muslims, Christians, and even Mormons; Black pretty much covers a lot of territory in this book. I did like it overall, and I think a good number of people should read it. Maybe it would help them be less uptight. 

I picked this to go with my audiobook challenge because I do enjoy the comedy of Lewis Black, and he does read the book. He reads it in his unique voice, though at times he can be a bit less angry than when he performs, which adds a nice warmth to the listening experience. His healthy skepticism is still very much present in the book. A big point of the book is that religion and comedy can be very similar.

The end segment of the book, something I had forgotten about from reading it in print, is the performance piece. It does have some confusing moments, and it reminded me why it seemed to slow down the book overall. It's an addition to the main text, like a radio play with music and all. Listening to it was better than just reading it, as the music and singing they do in this segment does add a bit more entertainment to the book.  

In the end, much of the audiobook is the book as I remember it when I read it in print. However, listening to Mr. Black reading it does enhance the experience. 

3 out of 5 stars. 

On a side note, a couple of good thoughts from the book I want to remember: 

"Anything that takes itself too seriously is open to ridicule." 

Word. 

For the next one, I also agree with it. I may be a heathen, but it does not mean I should be a dick about it: 

"I may not believe, but I believe if you are in the presence of believers, you should show a little respect for their beliefs."

Now, extremists, those deserve no respect and will get none from me. 

* * * * * 

This book qualifies for the following 2016 Reading Challenges: 













No comments: