Friday, June 23, 2017

Booknote: Betty Boop

Roger Langridge, Betty Boop. Mount Laurel, NJ; Dynamite Entertainment, 2017. ISBN: 9781524103187.

Genre: graphic novels and comics
Subgenre: vintage comics, humor
Format: e-book galley
Source: NetGalley

I remember watching Betty Boop cartoons as a kid. Given she was a bit before my time, these would have been in syndication. I do not remember much other than she was cute, that she sang now and then, and of course her famous catchphrase. So when I saw this title, I figured it would be a nice nostalgia trip.

My memories did not quite match up. Either the cartoons I watched did not have that whole ghosts trying to take over her house plot, or I just forgot about it. At any rate, that is the major plot of the story in this volume. To be honest, the stories featured in the volume are pretty much so-so, and they are not particularly memorable. The best part of the comic is the art. It truly brings the comic to live, and Betty looks particularly good. She looks even better in the comic issue covers, which are included in the volume.

The bottom line is that this was a nice quick read. It was entertaining, and it did have some humor to it. However, it is not a particularly memorable volume. As I mentioned, I liked it more for the art than the narrative. The covers would make nice poster prints. This is one to borrow rather than buy. For libraries, I would consider it an optional purchase.

3 out of 5 stars.


This book qualifies for these 2017 Reading Challenges:



No comments: