Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Deck Review: The Isis Oracle

Alana Fairchild, with Jimmy Manton (artist), The Isis Oracle. Victoria (Australia): Blue Angel Publishing, 2013. ISBN: 978-1-922161-01-7.

WorldCat Record here.
Purchase it from Llewellyn (the US distributor for Blue Angel) here.

Note: I have the full size edition, which I reviewed now. There is also a pocket edition available. That one does not have the book. It has smaller cards, with card information on the back of the cards. My daughter has the pocket version, and she is happy with it.

Genre: nonfiction
Subgenre: divination, spirituality, oracle cards
Format: card deck and book set
Source: Personal copy bought at Sqecial Media

Recently I have been using and enjoying The Isis Oracle card deck and book by Alana Fairchild. The Isis Oracle package includes 44 cards and a 220-pages guidebook; it comes in a nice, compact solid box. I wish more decks were packaged so well.

Let's start with the guidebook. The book's arrangement is simple. You get a short introduction, and then you get a section for each card. The introduction includes an author's statement and explanation of the oracle and Isis the deity, how to use the deck, and two spreads. For each card, the book includes a black and white small image of the card, an epigraph, a text expounding upon the card's meaning, instructions for a ritual related to the card, and a small incantation and prayer. You get about 5 to 6 pages of content per card, so you do get a lot to work with.

If your spiritual path or practice includes Isis, and you use oracle cards, this can be a good addition to your practice. As I mentioned, the book gives a lot to work with. Plus the cards feature great art to go with the rituals. If you are a  more vague heathen like me, you can still get a lot from the deck and book. Personally, I tend to used oracle cards to supplement my Tarot card draws. At the time of this review, I have been using it with my Gaian Tarot (Powell) deck, and it works well. Where the Gaian Tarot is casual and informal, the Isis Oracle adds a bit of formality, and for me, it often complements my Tarot deck well, reinforcing messages. If you have an ancient Egypt themed deck or a set of cartouche cards (my daughter has a set of these she uses in her craft), then the Isis Oracle can make a good companion. Even if you do not do ancient Egypt heavily, if you have a passing curiosity, this may be for you too.

The cards are about 5 1/2 inches by 3 3/4 inches, which is a good size to appreciate the painting-style art. The art is in full color, and it is very evocative of ancient Egypt and its spirituality and mythology. The card stock quality is good with a good coating for durability. The cards are not gilded, and they are borderless (for folks who care about that detail). Jimmy Manton does the art, rich in detail, and he does a great job portraying Isis and other characters and concepts of the Egyptian pantheon.  On a side note, Manton also did the art for The Halloween Oracle (link to my review). The Halloween Oracle is a very different deck; between the two you can appreciate the artist's range and ability.

Overall, I really like this deck. It is an excellent deck. I think collectors will like it. Isis practitioners will likely enjoy it and get good use out of it. Other oracle card users may likely enjoy it too. As I mentioned, you get a good amount of content, but you can use what works for you best and leave the rest.

4 out of 5 stars.

This item qualifies for the following 2017 Reading Challenge:


2 comments:

MK Piatkowski said...

This is one of my personal daily decks and I love it. The rituals are great when I choose to do them but I love that if I don't have time or inclination, I can use the incantations instead. Plus, the info in the book is really comprehensive. The artwork is a little darker than I'd like but I felt the power the first time I picked up the cards so it's not a major problem.

A. Rivera said...

MK, missed your comment earlier somehow. Thanks for stopping by. Glad to hear you enjoy using the deck. Paz y amor.