Tuesday, January 05, 2021

Reading Challenge: Virtual Mount TBR 2021

This is a new to me reading challenge for 2021. It is hosted by Bev at My Reader's Block, who also hosts the Mount TBR Reading Challenge. The idea behind this reading challenge is to read things you have had on your wish list/TBR list for a while. The difference is that unlike the regular Mount TBR this is for books that you do NOT own. Was there a book at the library you wanted to read? You have some books written down on a to be read list? This is the challenge to do that. Otherwise, it works just like the regular Mount TBR, so I figured I would give it a try and see if I can read a few things I have been wanting to read for a while now. 

If you are interested in the challenge as well, you can sign up here. This challenge also has mountain name levels, but since it is a virtual challenge, Bev has used fictional mountain names. I think this can be fun. 

Some rule details: 

  • It is for books you do NOT own. So if you are borrowing it, either from your local library or say your library's online systems like Hoopla or Overdrive, it counts. 
  • Best I can tell, as in the other challenge, any format works: print, e-books, audiobooks. 
  • The social online hashtag for this is #VirtualMountTBR2021.

For me, as much as possible, I am going to draw my book choices from one or two sources. One, from my GoodReads TBR shelf, where I have about 400 books or so if I recall (it may be more). Two, from the books listed in my "Items about books I want to read" series on my blog Alchemical Thoughts. It will be interesting for me to go back through that series and see if I still want to read some things or not, and if I do, then go see if I can get them through either my work library or my local public library. While the rules do not specify, I am understanding this is for books published prior to 2021, i.e. not for new books or new books I add to the TBR lists this year.


I am keeping the commitment low so I am choosing the lowest level. I am starting out to climb Mount Rum Doodle, which means 12 books. If I read more than that before the year ends, I will upgrade to the next mountain (level). As I always do, I will add books to the list as I get to them. I will then add links to the book titles once I review the book and post the review here on the blog. 

 

Link to Virtual Mount TBR Challenge HQ

image credit--ST:The Next Generation holodeck with Capt. Picard      



Reading list for this challenge: 

  1. Peter Washington, Madame Blavatsky's Baboon.  
  2. Richard Ovenden, Burning the Books.  
  3. George Anastasia, Joe Barrett (narrator), Gotti's Rules (audiobook).
  4. Rachel Maddow and Michael Yarvitz, Bag Man
  5. Henry Hill, as told to Gus Russo, Gangsters and Goodfellas (audiobook).
  6. Nick Bilton, American Kingpin.
  7. Ioan Grillo, Blood Gun Money.
  8. Diana B. Henriques, The Wizard of Lies
  9. Robert. S. Mueller, Washington Post Company, et.al., The Mueller Report Illustrated.
  10. Mark Bray, Antifa.
  11. Mike Doyle, Beautiful LEGO.
  12. Garth Ennis, et.al., The Boys Omnibus, Volume 1
  13. Justin Fenton, We Own This City.
  14. Anthony M. DeStefano (author), Keith Sellon-Wright (narrator), The Big Heist.
  15. Claudia Gray, Star Wars: Master and Apprentice
  16. M. William Phelps. Kiss of the She-Devil
  17. Garth Ennis, et.al., The Boys Omnibus, Volume 2

Update note (8/20/2021): With The Boys Omnibus, Volume 1 I complete the initial commitment for this challenge. I will keep adding books as I go along to see how much father I get. 



No comments: