Thursday, January 22, 2015

Getting scary in 2015: a Horror Reading Challenge

I want to try this challenge because I do have some horror books on my shelf that are part of my TBR pile. Also, there are some things I already read that could fall under horror, so I can count those books as well for this challenge. I am not a huge horror reader, but I do enjoy the genre. I often read things that may not be formally classified as horror, but they have strong horror elements. At any rate, I think I can cross one or two items from other challenges to make this and add one or two more items to reach success and diversify my reading a bit this year.

So, without further ado:




Some of the basics:

  • "This challenge will run from January 1, 2015 - December 31, 2015, and you can join at anytime."
  • "Audiobooks, re-reads, short stories, and crossovers are fine." (I need all the help I can get). 

I am going low on this one in terms of commitment. As always, like in other challenges, if I read more, I will upgrade accordingly. So, I am committing to this level:

1-5 horror books: Running Scared

Clearly, if I read one, I am good, but I will try to do a bit more than that at least.  I will post my reading list as I read the books. I will link to reviews posted to the blog as I get them done.

List of books read for this challenge:

  1. Scott Snyder, American Vampire, Volume 5. 
  2. Kennedy Xu, Daomu.
  3. Scott Snyder, American Vampire, Volume 7.  
  4. Mitzi Szereto, ed., Darker Edge of Desire.  
  5. Ryan Burton, et.al., Dark Engine, Volume 1: The Art of Destruction. 
  6. Brian Keene, Castaways.  
  7. Steve Niles and Damien Worm, October Faction, Volume 1. 
  8.  Z. Rider, Insylum. 
  9. Corina Sara Bechko, Heathentown.  
  10. Elaine Lee, Vamps. 

Update Note: Initial challenge completed 9/23/15. As I have read 9 books, I am upgrading level to:

Brave Reader = 6-10 books read and reviewed.

With Halloween coming up, I think I can make it to 10 books.

Update Note (12/31/15): With Vamps, I complete the challenge upgrade in full of 10 books read. 

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I'm glad you joined! Good luck with your goals :)

Tracy @ Cornerfolds