Friday, May 15, 2015

Book Review: Batman '66 Meets the Green Hornet

Kevin Smith, et.al., Batman '66 Meets the Green Hornet. New York: DC Comics, 2015. ISBN; 978-1-4012-5228-1.

Genre: comics and graphic novels
Subgenre: superheros, television shows
Format: e-book
Source: Read via Edelweiss. 

I admit that I was a little skeptical when I picked up this volume given that I was not as enthusiastic about the last Kevin Smith comic that I read, which was also a Green Hornet title. I liked that one, but I have read other authors working on Green Hornet who have done much better work such as Matt Wagner and Michael Uslan (links to my reviews). However, this title of the 1960s Batman featuring the Green Hornet was very good. If you've enjoyed previous volumes of Batman '66, you will like this series as it captures all the cheesiness and charm of the original television show.

When a priceless collection of fossils goes missing, Batman and the Green Hornet must learn to work together. It is not easy since the Green Hornet and Kato masquerade as villains in order to fight crime, and Batman has sworn to fight all criminals and put them in jail no matter who they are. But work together they must if they hope to defeat General Gumm, the guru of glue, and the Joker, the Clown Prince of Crime.

You get it all here: the wisecracks, the cliffhangers, the fights, and the humor (intentional and otherwise). What is there not to like? It has its silliness, but that is just part of the charm. Overall, this was an entertaining and fun volume to read. It features nice and colorful art as well. Plus, the Alex Ross art pieces between issues are excellent and make a very nice bonus.

Whether for nostalgia or for new readers, I am sure libraries will want this one. I am definitely recommending it. It is just a hoot, even when it may not mean to be.

5 out of 5 stars.

This book qualifies for the following 2015 Reading Challenges:











No comments: