Friday, May 05, 2017

Deck Review: Enchanted Map Oracle Cards

Colette Baron-Reid, Enchanted Map Oracle Cards.  Carlsbad, CA: Hay House Publishing, 2011. ISBN: 978-1-4019-2749-3. 

WorldCat Record.
Publisher's product page.

Genre: nonfiction
Subgenre: divination, spirituality, oracle cards
Format: oracle card deck with companion book in boxed set
Source: Personal collection


As of this post, I have been using this deck for a couple of months or so, and I have enjoyed them greatly. I often use oracle cards as  a supplement to my daily Tarot card draw, usually on Fridays as a bonus to whatever card I draw from my Tarot deck. For now, I am still using the Steampunk Tarot deck (Moore and Fell; link to my review), and I have found these oracle cards work nicely with that deck. I currently also use the Gilded Tarot (Marchetti; link here for my review) as a daily deck, and I feel this oracle deck would work well with it as well. In fact, I think you can use it pretty much with almost any Tarot deck. Naturally, you can also use the oracle cards by themselves.

The deck is based on Colette Baron-Reid's book The Map (link to WorldCat record). I have not read the book, and I feel that you can enjoy and use the deck just fine without reading the book. I am sure those who have read the book might have additional insights into the cards. If I get a hold of the book and read it, I'll write a review for it.

The deck package includes 54 cards and a small paperback book of 153 pages. The book includes the following:

  • A short introduction from the author. 
  • A section on "How to use the cards." This includes a statement on the cards' purpose, how to do a reading, and some sample readings with  three card spreads (one-card, three-cards, and six-cards spreads).
  • The cards' meanings. This is the core of the book. Each card gets about 2 1/2 pages of text. Text includes card number, card title, an epigraph verse, and upright and reversed meanings. There is also an illustration for every card in black and white. 
The cards measure approximately 5 inches tall by 3 1/2 inches wide. The card stock is flexible but with good thickness; it is certainly thicker than the notoriously thin card stock a certain other competitor tends to use on  their decks. This suggests good durability for the oracle cards. The cards have a glossy coat, which is light. In addition, the cards have a gold color gilded edge, which adds to the beauty of the cards. Each card is numbered and has a keyword in addition to the art. The art combines realism with fantasy. Images are mainly positive and uplifting, and some of the images can be playful and whimsical. If you are looking for a light and mostly positive deck, this can be a good choice. I find it a peaceful and calming deck.

The guidebook is pretty basic. As I mentioned above, the card meanings are the core of the book. Baron-Reid's writing is relatively peaceful and uplifting. Card meanings often include suggestions for reflection and ideas for further thinking. It is a pretty spiritual deck in the sense she brings in various spiritual ideas in a general way. What I am trying to say is that there are no direct divine references or specific deities; it's more things like the Universe and a great spirit kind of thing. Whether you are a believer or not, this book and deck can work for you.

For folks who read intuitively and ignore books, these cards should be good given their evocative art. If you do read the book, you get enough to get you thinking and reflecting. There are times I wish the book had a bit more depth, but overall it gives you enough to work with  the deck.

In the end, I like this deck very much, and I would recommend it. I really like the art, and I enjoy its light, positive, and overall uplifting tone. I am glad I added it to my collection.

4 out of 5 stars.

This set qualifies for the following 2017 Reading Challenges:




No comments: