Friday, January 03, 2020

Booknote: G.I. Joe vs. The Transformers, Volume 3: The Art of War

Tim Seeley, et.al., G.I. Joe vs The Transformers: The Art of War, Volume 3. Chicago, IL: Devil's Due Publishing, 2006. ISBN: 978-1-932796-64-3.

Genre: comics and graphic novels
Subgenre: science fiction, cartoons, Transformers, G.I. Joe
Format: trade paperback
Source: I owned this (weeded out of my collection)

This is a continuation of Devil's Due run. In this volume, there is an agreement between humans and Autobot Transformers not to experiment with Cybertronian technology on Earth. Naturally, the U.S. Government, which never met a treaty they did not break sooner or later (just ask Native Americans), start experimenting with Cybertronian technology. It is so top secret that the laboratory is under G.I Joe's headquarters, and none of the Joes knew it was there (makes you wonder, but readers are expected to go with it). The experiments involve combining human DNA with Cybertronian tech, and they are using Megatron's head and brain. The result is the rise of Serpentor, a new ruthless leader ready to unify COBRA and the Decepticons to conquer and rule. So the Autobots and Joes have to unite to stop this.

The Serpentor origin story was pretty good, though given the background, as I said, you could see it coming. I will say the art on the volume is pretty good. However, in the end, the story is good but not particularly memorable. It's one of those you just read and move on. I'd say borrow this one. It was overall OK.

2 out of 5 stars.

No comments: