Friday, August 27, 2021

Short book review: Garfield Fat Cat 3-Pack, Volume 12

Jim Davis, Garfield Fat Cat 3-Pack, Volume 12. New York: Ballantine Books, 2019. 

Genre: comics and graphic novels
Subgenre: humor, children and YA. 
Format: Omnibus collection, paperback
Source: Berea branch of the Madison County (KY) Public Library


This volume collects the following three books: Garfield Life to the Fullest: his 34th Book, Garfield Feeds the Kitty: his 35th Book (which I have read before), and Garfield Hogs the Spotlight: his 35th Book. So most of the strips were new to me, and even the ones from the one book still felt fresh since it has been a while since I read that book. 

As I've written before, Garfield comics for me are a comfort read. When I want something amusing, simple, and easy to read, I like having these comics handy. I have also written before that for libraries that collect graphic novels and comics these 3-pack volumes do make a good value. The comics are in full color, and they are printed a bit larger than the regular trades (or at least they feel that way). 

This is classic Garfield humor with his blend of big appetite, sarcasm, and plain humor. Among my favorite strips are: Jon trying to find a date for New Year's Eve from his little black book (amusing but can seem dated in this era of online dating), Garfield being a cat and getting on top of the book Jon is reading, the mice's wedding (that was just cute), and Jon discovering he has a chest hair (yea, just one). For me, these are good comics to read anytime. Overall, I am really liking these, specially in these larger volumes. 

4 out of 5 stars. 

Qualifies for this 2020 Reading Challenge: 



No comments: