Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Book Review: Deadpool Samurai, Volume 1

Sanshiro Kasama (author) and Hikaru Uesugi (artist), Deadpool Samurai, Volume 1. San Franciso, CA: VIZ Media, 2022. ISBN: 9781974725311.
 
Genre: manga
Subgenre: superheroes, Marvel Comics, humor
Format: e-book galley
Source: NetGalley 

 
Deadpool makes it into manga, and it was a fun ride to read. I picked this up in part because I like Deadpool comics and in part because it is manga. I am glad I read it. 
 
Deadpool makes it to Japan, and he is soon drafted to be part of a new team Japan: Samurai Squad, along with Sakura Spider, a young woman with powers like Spider-Man. Soon they get into various adventures as Loki appears to create various problems in his quest for world conquest. 
 
Deadpool's humor is spot on in this series. His fourth wall breaks are great, and he aims his humor at everyone up to and including his publishers-- Marvel and Shonen Jump.  Reading these asides just adds to the fun. The manga overall has a pretty fast pace with plenty of action. The story has silly moments, but it is also entertaining and amusing. The manga art is very good as well. 

I ended up reading this in one sitting because it was great fun to read. I could not put it down. In a time when so many comics want to be dark, moody, edgy (as if), it is refreshing to read a manga that is light, fun, and just plain entertaining. We need more manga like this. 

This is a great selection for libraries with comics and manga collections. If you already collect Deadpool comics, this is a must have as well. I'd buy it for my library, and it is one I would buy for my personal library. 

5 out of 5 stars. 

Book qualifies for the following 2022 Reading Challenge: 




No comments: