Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Top 4 graphic novels and comics read in 2023

Graphic novels, comics, and manga are a genre I enjoy, but last year 2023 felt a bit lean in terms of reading them. Looking back at my reading list for 2023, I read 24 graphic novels and comics plus one manga. Out of the 24, these four stood out for me based on me reviewing them and rating them either a four or five out of five stars. If the review is posted on the blog at this time, I will include the link. The list is in no particular order.

 

Lady Mechanika, Volume 1: The Mystery of the Mechanical Corpse. 

 

 

From my review: "The tale is intriguing and draws the reading in. The pace is swift and steady, and the story offers a good blend of mystery, suspense, and adventure. Fans of adventure stories and steampunk will find plenty to enjoy. The story has a bit of feel like some of the old pulp adventures. "

 

The Cimmerian, Volume 4

 

 

From the review. This is a series I continue to enjoy. Note that the editions in this series also include the original text of Robert Howard's Conan tales, so you can read the original along with the graphic novel adaptations. "If you are a fan of the Conan stories, you'll enjoy these adaptations where we get Conan wild, uncensored, and smart."

 

Knock 'Em Dead

 

 

 From the review: "The comic overall is a good read. If you like a bit of horror with a bit of humor, this is a good selection. It is well paced and engaging. The art is good and in full color."

 

Star Wars Epic Collection: The Empire, Volume 1


 

This was a reread for me in 2023. From the review: "Overall, I really liked this one. Do note given this is a compilation that art style may vary, but overall it is good art with great storytelling (certainly better than the recent third trilogy of films)."

 


No comments: