Friday, July 31, 2026

Book Review: Pagan Curiouser

Debra DeAngelo, Pagan Curiouser: a beginner's guide to nature, magic & spirituality. Woodbury, MN: Llewellyn, 2026. 
 
Genre: nonfiction
Subgenre: Paganism, inspirational, guides, spirituality
Format: e-book galley
Source: Edelweiss Plus
 

This book is a guide for folks interested in becoming a practicing pagan. Paganism is a very broad umbrella, so the author keeps the focus a bit broad, so you can build up a joyful, meaningful, and unique path that is yours. The book is a follow up to her previous work, Pagan Curious (link to my review). If you read the previous book, and you are still working on your pagan path, you will want to read this one. However, having read both, I'd say you can read this one just fine without reading the previous one. I personally liked this one better. 

The book is arranged in three major sections with 15 chapters. The material builds up from self to your surroundings to the magical path. The book also features a bibliography for sources cited, which you can use for further reading. The bibliography includes books and online resources. There are some academic online sources listed, but most of the online items are popular resources. In addition, the book features activities for readers that are conveniently listed in the front of the book. 

I found this book more interesting to read than the previous one. It also is a bit more focused. You get the chapters with the lessons, and each chapter ends with activity. For the most part, the activities are not difficult. Many of them don't even require materials other than yourself willing to do a little work. I found the book easy to read. 

If you are starting on the path from scratch, this book is a pretty good option. The content is a bit broad and general to allow readers to decide how to build their paths. You can take what works for you, leave the rest. You can explore and experiment, then decide what you want in your practice or not. While the author does mention elements of her own pagan practice, it does not mean you have to follow her practices. View them as examples of things you could do. I'd say if a specific element or practice calls your attention, do your research and see where it leads. 

Overall, I really like this book. I think it is a good entry point for folks interested in a pagan path, including those who want magic in their craft. I would recommend it for libraries that collect pagan and esoteric materials, especially public libraries. For academic libraries if they already have strong collections in paganism and/or religion, this could be a good selection. If you have students curious about paganism, this book may be a good selection. 

The book may be optional for pagans who are well settled in their paths and crafts. It may be a bit basic for them. For me, still learning, it's a good resource. 

4 out of 5 stars. 

 

Additional reading notes: 

On pagan's connection to the world: 

"Pagans are deeply connected to the natural world. We don't view it as something we are in,  like visitors passing through. We aren't in nature, we're part of it. Protecting the environment is a fundamental Pagan value. Reverence for our planet and a deep, spiritual connection to nature is the foundation of a Pagan life. Making choices that harm Gaia is Pagan sacrilege" (113, emphasis in original). 

 

A definition of mindfulness: 

"Mindfulness means being completely aware of what you're doing. Being mentally present and fully experiencing that exact moment rather than going through the motions while your faraway mind whirls and swirls in a mental multiverse. It means being here now" (36, emphasis in original).   

 

On the pagan connection with Spirit: 

"Pagans strive to keep our connection with Spirit open and flowing. We recognize Spirit expressing itself in our lives and hearts, and we embrace a Spiritual life" (62).

 

Pagans, on their values shaping their spirituality. This one resonated with me a bit: 

"You aren't obligated to keep legacy values. You're a Pagan now. Wipe all that spiritual sludge away and declare your own values. Going forward, you will decide which values to keep and which to jettison. You will shape your own spiritual values from now on. Those who gifted you with those legacy values may get very upset when you choose a different direction, because someone who says no challenges their beliefs and makes them feel insecure. Step away anyway.

When faced with objection or resistance, stand spiritually firm. Make your spiritual boundaries robust and unassailable. You aren't required to defend or debate your values to anyone, unless you want to.  You don't owe anyone an explanation, and you aren't required to attend every argument you're invited to. You can just say I understand that you disagree and drop it" (66, emphasis in original).

 

If you are working with a deity, respect is essential: 

"Respect is the foundation of a relationship with a deity. Become a perpetual student of their lore and history. Become fascinated with that deity, and the rest will follow" (70). 

 

I found the section on "Pagan Self-Defense" an important read. It feels like the kind of thing that established pagans take for granted, but they fail to tell the new folks. As I am writing this I feel that this book at times demystifies paganism for newcomers. This is not unlike some of the work I do demystifying academia for some of my students. So there I go again finding similarities between paganism, or at least my pagan path, and librarianship, or at least my path in the profession. Maybe I need to write on that a bit more sometime, but let us not digress now. 

On another side note, the passage to be honest, made me briefly reconsider if I should take down the small altar I keep in my work office. While it has not been an issue, there are moments I wish I was a bit less visible as a pagan because one never knows what may or not happen. For now, it can stay up. At any rate, people do have to step into my office and look at the back to see it. Most folks who visit my office either stay near the office entrance or sit in the consult area in front of my office, so no big deal. 

On an additional side note, my talk last spring at the campus Spiritual Seekers group I am sure added to my visibility, but I did walk into that voluntarily; the chaplain did ask nicely. But that is another thought for another time. 

 

Back to notes from the book, on the power of silence, which is something I find myself embracing more best I can: 

"Staying silent is a key principle of the Witches' Pyramid: To Know, To Will, To Be Silent" (183). 

On a side note, I know I've read that phrase elsewhere, but at the moment I can't recall where. 

 

Defining magic:

"At its most basic, magic is a specific goal or desire that you energetically propel to the Universe for completion by doing particular things a particular way. It is willfully directed, focused energy that results in change. Magic has three basic parts: intention, implementation, and manifestation" (187). 

 

Be specific with your magic works: 

"Don't leave too much interpretation up to Spirit, because it's wildly creative, and sometimes has a wicked sense of humor. Be specific" (191). 

As a devotee of the Cosmic Joker, learning this is a work in progress, though at times you just have to accept and embrace the Divine Humor. 

And speaking of the Divine Humor: 

"Bad shit happens. How we interpret and deal with that is what separates magical people from everyone else-- we're confident that Spirit diverted as much tragedy as possible. A magical, Pagan life doesn't mean everything will be charmed and wonderful from now on. You'll celebrate life's sweetness, but when it sours, you'll have extra coping skills: your magic and your Pagan perspective. Magic is available all the time and provides comfort when things are difficult and dark. We'll embrace joy and positivity, but when the water gets choppy, you can cling to your trust in Spirit. You're never truly alone. Spirit is always there. Always. 

Trust that the Universe has your back too" (198).

 

A reminder, do the work and practice: 

"Magic is a skill, and like any other skill from calligraphy to woodworking to juggling, you only become proficient with practice" (251).     

 

 

Book qualifies for the 2026 Netgalley/Edelweiss Reading Challenge: 


 

No comments: