Thursday, January 22, 2015

Can I read some fur and fangs this year? A reading challenge for 2015

This challenge I am doing just for fun now. Fur and fangs means werewolves (though according to the rules, other shifters can count) and vampires. Since I have some vampire books in the TBR pile, maybe I can read enough to be successful in this challenge. Reading from the TBR pile will allow me to cross them with the Mount TBR Challenge I am doing this year. Often, a lot of books in the fur and fangs field fall under paranormal romances. Yes, paranormal readers do like their shifters and vampires. By the way, this would also include stuff like the Twilight series. I am not likely to read those but if something slips in, hey, I am all about trying things at least once (not Twilight, we do need to have some standards of quality here). On a serious note, we'll see how it goes. Odds are good I will count a graphic novel or two, maybe even a manga, if it fits in the genre.

So, this is the challenge:




Some of the basic rules (you can click the link above to see the full information and to sign up if so moved):

  1. "This challenge will run from January 1st, 2015, until December 31st, 2015."
  2. "Books must be started on or after January 1st, 2015 to count."
  3. "Books can be any publication date and any genre, as long as at least the subject or one of the main characters is a vampire or werewolf." (I am betting much of my genre options here will be graphic novels, but we'll see).
  4. "Any other shifter with fur can also count. (i.e. cats, tigers, bears)." (Not sure I will find something with other shifters, but I will be on the lookout for something, at least for the fun factor).

As I usually do for challenges, I will list the books as I read them. When I post the review on the blog, I will add the link here as well. I am thinking this will be a challenge for me to have a little fun.

The goal is left open. The host say to "read as many werewolf and vampire books as you can." So, let's go low, and work our way up. I will commit to 5 to 10 books in this challenge. Naturally, we will upgrade if we do more. 

List of books read for this challenge:

  1. Scott Snyder, American Vampire, Volume 5
  2. Vic Malhotra, X-Files: Year Zero
  3. Scott Snyder, American Vampire, Volume 7.  
  4. Mitzi Szereto, Dark Edge of Desire.  
  5. Elaine Lee, Vamps.  
Update note: (12/31/15): I finished Vamps last week, and I got the review up today. With that book I complete the commitment, on the low end.  When I started this challenge, I figured it would not be difficult since I was also doing the Horror Reading Challenge, so finding stuff with vampires and other shifters would not be an issue, or so I thought. Well, turns out it was not so easy. I found enough horror works, but they did not always feature a vampire or other supernatural shifter. I picked up the challenge hoping to add some variety to my reading, and I will admit I barely made it this time. I may or not repeat the challenge next year if it is offered, mostly because there are one or two new challenges I would like to add for 2016, and I am not sure I can add them and do this one again. However, if I do decide to try again, I do have a couple of books on my TBR shelves that would fit, so I at least have one or two books to help me get started if I do get on this again. In the end, the challenge was completed successfully.

On a side note, I tried to do a check-in, but I cannot seem to find a "wrap up" post from the hosts (and I did search both the blogs that share the hosting), so I am not even sure they kept up with it. At any rate, I did complete it on my end.
 

No comments: