Friday, January 16, 2015

Joining the 2015 Nonfiction Reading Challenge

This is another reading challenge I did last year. I am always reading nonfiction because it is one of the ways I learn about the world. Sometimes I just get in the mood to read something that is, well, not fiction. So I am hopping on board to do this once more. Here we go:

Nonfiction Reading Challenge hosted at The Introverted Reader
Image courtesy of Serge Bertasius Photography
at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Here are some of the basics. You can click on the link above to get the full information on the challenge. You can also use the link to sign up if you feel up to it.

  • "The Challenge:  Read any non-fiction book(s), adult or young adult. That's it. You can choose anything. Memoirs? Yes. History? Yes. Travel? Yes. You get the idea? Absolutely anything that is classified as non-fiction counts for this challenge. "
  • This challenge will last from January 1 to December 31, 2015. You can sign up anytime throughout the year.
  • Crossovers are acceptable. 

Last year I played it safe. Though I did very well, I think I am going to play it safe this year. One never knows, and last year I did have a couple of bumps on the road, so I am giving myself some leeway. Thus I am committing to the following challenge level:

 Seeker--Read 11-15

One of the things I like about this challenge is that the host keeps it simple. There is just one single page to link up reviews. It means I can link them up as I post them at my own pace not having to worry over monthly deadlines or such.  If I surpass the initial goal, I will go ahead and upgrade to the next level.

As I usually do, I will add books to the list as I read them. I will also add the links to the reviews I write as I post them on the blog.

List of books read for this challenge:

  1. Jane and Michael Stern, Two for the Road
  2. Cornel West, with Christa Buschendorf, Black Prophetic Fire
  3. Lawrence Osborne, The Wet and the Dry
  4. Andrew Bohrer, The Best Shots You've Never Tried
  5. Gayden Metcalfe and Charlotte Hays, Being Dead Is No Excuse
  6. Henrik Lange, 90 Classic Books for People in a Hurry
  7. Caitlin Doughty, Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory
  8. Kevin L. Nadal, That's So Gay! Microaggressions and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Community.
  9. Michael R. Veach, Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey.
  10. Seth M. Holmes, Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies.
  11. Karl E. Meyer and Shareen Blair Brysac, The China Collectors
  12. Fred W. Sauceman, Buttermilk and Bible Burgers.
  13.  Martin Luther King, Jr., The Radical King.
  14. Nelson A. Denis, War Against All Puerto Ricans.
  15.  Guy Lawson, Arms and the Dudes.
  16. Jon Pressick, ed., Best Sex Writing of the Year, Volume 1.
  17. Thomas Hodge, VHS Video Cover Art.
  18. Bayard Rustin, Time on Two Crosses.
  19. Adrian Brooks, The Right Side of History.

So, let's do this and happy reading.

Update note (9/23/15): Challenge completed at 19 books. This upgrades me to the Master Level (16-20 books). Though I have read and will continue to read other nonfiction selections in the year, I may or not get the reviews up on time, so I am wrapping this challenge up here now, satisfied I have done well. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks interesting. I've already finished one and in the midst of about 4-5 more. Think i'll do this too. Thanks.

A. Rivera said...

Mark: From what I see, you read enough nonfiction you should be able to make this work. Go forth and read, friend.

:)