|Image courtesy of Serge Bertasius Photography|
- "The Challenge: Read any non-fiction book(s), adult or young adult. That's it. You can choose anything. Memoirs? Yes. History? Yes. Travel? Yes. You get the idea? Absolutely anything that is classified as non-fiction counts for this challenge. "
- This challenge will last from January 1 to December 31, 2015. You can sign up anytime throughout the year.
- Crossovers are acceptable.
Last year I played it safe. Though I did very well, I think I am going to play it safe this year. One never knows, and last year I did have a couple of bumps on the road, so I am giving myself some leeway. Thus I am committing to the following challenge level:
One of the things I like about this challenge is that the host keeps it simple. There is just one single page to link up reviews. It means I can link them up as I post them at my own pace not having to worry over monthly deadlines or such. If I surpass the initial goal, I will go ahead and upgrade to the next level.
As I usually do, I will add books to the list as I read them. I will also add the links to the reviews I write as I post them on the blog.
List of books read for this challenge:
- Jane and Michael Stern, Two for the Road.
- Cornel West, with Christa Buschendorf, Black Prophetic Fire.
- Lawrence Osborne, The Wet and the Dry.
- Andrew Bohrer, The Best Shots You've Never Tried.
- Gayden Metcalfe and Charlotte Hays, Being Dead Is No Excuse.
- Henrik Lange, 90 Classic Books for People in a Hurry.
- Caitlin Doughty, Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory.
- Kevin L. Nadal, That's So Gay! Microaggressions and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Community.
- Michael R. Veach, Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey.
- Seth M. Holmes, Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies.
- Karl E. Meyer and Shareen Blair Brysac, The China Collectors.
- Fred W. Sauceman, Buttermilk and Bible Burgers.
- Martin Luther King, Jr., The Radical King.
- Nelson A. Denis, War Against All Puerto Ricans.
- Guy Lawson, Arms and the Dudes.
- Jon Pressick, ed., Best Sex Writing of the Year, Volume 1.
- Thomas Hodge, VHS Video Cover Art.
- Bayard Rustin, Time on Two Crosses.
- Adrian Brooks, The Right Side of History.
So, let's do this and happy reading.
Update note (9/23/15): Challenge completed at 19 books. This upgrades me to the Master Level (16-20 books). Though I have read and will continue to read other nonfiction selections in the year, I may or not get the reviews up on time, so I am wrapping this challenge up here now, satisfied I have done well.