Sunday, January 10, 2016

Climbing the book mountain in 2016: The TBR Mountain Reading Challenge

I did this challenge in 2015, and it was a bit more difficult than I thought. My issue was, as it often is, that I find newer stuff that catches my eye, and I get to reading it sooner than stuff on my shelves. Also, I read from libraries, both my work place library and my local public library. So my challenge is balancing those sources with reading what I already have on my TBR shelves. I did manage to complete the challenge last year, but I did cut it close. I want to try again this year and see if I can do it again, maybe even upgrade a little. Deity of choice knows I have plenty of books to read on the TBR shelves. So, I am going up the mountain once more.




Highlights of the rules. If you want to learn more, read the full rules, and/or sign up, click on the link above.

  • Challenge runs from January 1 to December 31, 2016. 
  • Books must be owned by you prior to January 1, 2016. No library books (the idea is to read books you have already).
  • Books may be used to count for other challenges as well (I do plan to cross read).

To be cautious, I will commit to the low level again. If I manage to read more, I will upgrade the challenge. So, for now, I am committing to the following level:

Pike's Peak: Read 12 books from your TBR pile/s

As I do with challenges, I will add books to my list as I read them. The first three books on the list, I am carrying over from 2015. In compliance with the rules, I had more than 50% of the book remaining to read, and I did acquire them before January 1st, 2016. The rest I will add as I go throughout the year. I will link them to the reviews as I post the reviews on the blog.

List of books read for this challenge:

  1. James Swallow, The Blood Angels Omnibus (Warhammer 40,000).
  2. Jane Lyle, The Illustrated Guide to Tarot
  3. Staci Mendoza and David Bourne, Reading and Understanding the Mysteries of Tarot.  
  4. Josephine Ellershaw, Easy Tarot Handbook
  5. Isabella Alston and Kathryn Dixon, Tarot Cards
  6. Robert Kirkman, Battle Pope, Volume 3: Pillow Talk
  7. Robert Kirkman, Battle Pope, Volume 4: Wrath of God
  8. Rachel Kramer Bussel, Dirty Dates:  Erotic Fantasies for Couples.

Update note (12/30/16): I got close, but I was not able to finish this on time. I did get one more book read, but I will not have the review up on the blog by the end of the year, so I am stopping here with 8 books read and reviewed for the challenge. I felt like I almost had it, but I kept finding some very good books at the library and via NetGalley. This is a challenge I enjoy doing, so I will be signing up for it again in 2017.



No comments: