Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Hoping to revisit old friends: The 2016 "Read it again, Sam" Reading Challenge

Since I started reviewing books in a more formal way, I have been reading a good amount of new things. That is great, but once in a while I feel a need to reread books I have enjoyed. In addition, some of my readers may know that I revisit Macondo every so often with One Hundred Years of Solitude, which I read in Spanish by the way. It's starting to feel like a Macondo year to me, so I already got one book down for this challenge. Another I can tell you that I will likely read is the graphic novel Batman: The Long Halloween. Reading The Long Halloween sometime in October, usually as close as possible to October 31st, has become an annual tradition for me. If I add two more books, I may be able to complete the lower end of this reading challenge. I do have some ideas of things I would like to read. For instance, I have fallen behind on some of my manga reading, so I may need to reread an early volume or two to catch up to the newer stuff. Revisiting Arrakis in Dune sounds appealing too. We'll see. So why the hell not? Here we go.





You can read the full rules at the link above, plus you can sign up too if interested. Here are some rule highlights:

  • Challenge runs from January 1 to December 31, 2016.
  • Books may be used to count for other challenges as well. (Good. I will be crossing readings as much as I can).

For this challenge, I am committing initially to the following level:

Déjà vu: Reread 4 books

Aside from the two first books I mentioned above, I will add other books to my list for this challenge as I read them. As for reviews, I will handle them a bit different for this challenge. If I have a review already written, I will simply link to that one after I finish the book. If I decide to modify or edit the review in light of rereading, I will do so. If I have not written a review for the book before,  I will write a new review.  This is a new reading challenge for me this year. If it sticks, I may keep doing it.


List of books reread for this challenge:

  1. Me of Little Faith (Audiobook edition).
  2. Bill Maher, New Rules. (Audiobook edition). 
  3. Denis Leary, Why We Suck (Audiobook edition). 
  4. Carole Cable, Cable on Academe

Update note (11/29/16): I completed this challenge with  4 books. Since at this point, we are almost into December, I am not sure I can get many more in for this challenge, so I am stopping here. This challenge was not as easy as I thought it would be. While I had some books I wanted to reread this year, I did not get to them, or I just got caught up in new things. Maybe if the challenge happens in 2017 I will give another try.





No comments: