For this challenge, I am going to try three different categories at the Foxglove level, which is one to three books read and reviewed. As I have mentioned in other reading challenge posts this year, I am keeping commitments low given the hard year coming ahead. Naturally, if I read more, I will upgrade the levels. My initial commitments are as follows:
- Horror books. I want to read more in this genre. I rediscovered my love for the genre on doing the Horror Reading Challenge last year. Since that challenge is not available for 2017, I am doing my own version here. I am committing at the Foxglove level, which means one to three books read and reviewed.
- Books in Spanish. I am a native Spanish language person, and I try to keep reading books in my first language when I can. I got a couple in last year, and I would like to add a few more this year. Books in this category can be fiction or nonfiction, but they do have to be originally written in Spanish. After all, if it was originally in English, I can read it in English. Only exception to the original Spanish language rule may be a book originally written in some other language not English that I would not be able to read, and I find a good translation in Spanish. I am doing this at the Foxglove level.
- Science Fiction books. I am leaving this intentionally wide open. Yes, I know science fiction can be a lot of things and a lot of subgenres. I do read some science fiction already, but I am hoping to use this to read a few of those classics I feel I should have read already and maybe discover a new thing or two outside the usual. However, if it falls broadly under the science fiction umbrella, be it space opera, hard science fiction, or something else, I am counting it. Again, let's start low at the Foxglove level and see if we work our way up.
As I always do, I will list the books read for this challenge as I pick them up. For this particular challenge, I will identify which category the book fits in. I will then link to my review of the book once it is posted.
List of books read for this challenge:
Books in Spanish:
- Matt Kindt and Trevor Hairsine, Divinity III: Stalinverse.
- Cullen Bunn, Battlestar Galactica: Folly of the Gods.
- Matt Kindt, X-O Manowar, Volume 1: Soldier.