Friday, January 13, 2017

Reading graphic novels, maybe some manga too, in 2017

I have been selecting and deciding which reading challenges I will attempt in 2017. I will be posting the challenges I have chosen over the next few days, and I will create a challenges page for 2017 that will reside on the blog's right sidebar with a list and links to all the challenge posts.

Once again, I am doing the Graphic Novels and Manga Reading Challenge. The challenge is on its 10th anniversary. I have done it three times (2014, 2015, and 2016), and I am glad to try it out again for 2017 on their 10th year. This is a challenge I enjoy because graphic novels and manga are one of my favorite reading genres. As I mentioned in my end of year reading report for 2016, the lousy latter part of the year affected my reading quite a bit, and it slowed me down. I ended up reading less. While I did manage to complete this challenge last year, I am going to be cautious this year. So I am going to start out with a low commitment level. If I manage to finish that in a timely fashion, I will upgrade the commitment level.

You can find the details to the challenge and sign up at this page. Some details:

  • Challenge runs from January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017. 
  • "What counts: graphic novels, collected trade editions, manga, comic strip collections, comic books or combinations of text and bubbles all in the same book. In print or digital. Anything else you feel is suitable. My personal criteria is if it has either frames OR speech bubbles it counts. I'm not going to be the comic police but if you are unsure, ask me in the comments any given month."

I am going to start out low and commit to the following:

Modern Age: read and review 12 books during the year (that's only 1 book a month)


I will add the titles to the list as I read them. Once I have reviewed them, I will add the link to the review. Reading a graphic novel or manga a month is not the hard part. For me, getting the reviews up on time is often the real challenge. We will see how it goes. As I mentioned, if I manage to finish the initial commitment in a timely fashion, I will upgrade.




List of books read for this challenge:

  1.  Seán Michael Wilson, et.al., Bushido: the Soul of the Samurai.
  2. Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman, Zits: Sketchbook 1
  3. John Lewis, et.al., March: Book Three
  4. Jimmy Palmiotti, et.al., Harley Quinn and her Gang of Harleys.
  5. Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti, Harley Quinn, Volume 1: Die Laughing (DC Universe Rebirth).
  6. Various authors, Halo Graphic Novel
  7. Eileen Kaur Alden, et.al., Super Sikh, Issue 1
  8. Matt Kindt and Trevor Hairsine, Divinity III: Stalinverse
  9. Cullen Bunn, Battlestar Galactica: Folly of the Gods
  10. Roger Langridge, Betty Boop
  11. Gerard Way, et.al., Doom Patrol, Volume 1
  12. Sara Vaughn, Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love.  
  13. Andy Diggle, James Bond: Hammerhead
  14. David Gonzales and Elliot Serrano, Homies
  15. Matt Kindt, X-O Manowar, Volume 1: Soldier
  16. David Liss, et.al., Green Hornet: Reign of the Demon
  17. Stan Sakai, Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 31: The Hell Screen.
  18. Andy Schmidt, et.al., G.I. Joe: Future Noir
  19. Eileen Kaur Alden, et.al., Super Sikh, Issue 2
  20.  Neil Gaiman, Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Secret House of the Night of Dread Desire
  21. Matt Kindt, et.al., X-O Manowar, Volume 2: General
  22. Matt Groening, Will and Abe's Guide to the Universe.

Update note: (9/24/17): With 16 books, I have completed the Modern Age level, and thus I have completed the initial challenge commitment. I think I can read and review 8 more books by December, so I am upgrading to:

Bronze Age: read and review 24 books during the year (Can you handle 2 books a month?)






No comments: