Once again, I am doing the Graphic Novels and Manga Reading Challenge. The challenge is on its 10th anniversary. I have done it three times (2014, 2015, and 2016), and I am glad to try it out again for 2017 on their 10th year. This is a challenge I enjoy because graphic novels and manga are one of my favorite reading genres. As I mentioned in my end of year reading report for 2016, the lousy latter part of the year affected my reading quite a bit, and it slowed me down. I ended up reading less. While I did manage to complete this challenge last year, I am going to be cautious this year. So I am going to start out with a low commitment level. If I manage to finish that in a timely fashion, I will upgrade the commitment level.
You can find the details to the challenge and sign up at this page. Some details:
- Challenge runs from January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017.
- "What counts: graphic novels, collected trade editions, manga, comic strip collections, comic books or combinations of text and bubbles all in the same book. In print or digital. Anything else you feel is suitable. My personal criteria is if it has either frames OR speech bubbles it counts. I'm not going to be the comic police but if you are unsure, ask me in the comments any given month."
I am going to start out low and commit to the following:
I will add the titles to the list as I read them. Once I have reviewed them, I will add the link to the review. Reading a graphic novel or manga a month is not the hard part. For me, getting the reviews up on time is often the real challenge. We will see how it goes. As I mentioned, if I manage to finish the initial commitment in a timely fashion, I will upgrade.
List of books read for this challenge:
- Seán Michael Wilson, et.al., Bushido: the Soul of the Samurai.
- Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman, Zits: Sketchbook 1.
- John Lewis, et.al., March: Book Three.
- Jimmy Palmiotti, et.al., Harley Quinn and her Gang of Harleys.
- Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti, Harley Quinn, Volume 1: Die Laughing (DC Universe Rebirth).
- Various authors, Halo Graphic Novel.
- Eileen Kaur Alden, et.al., Super Sikh, Issue 1.
- Matt Kindt and Trevor Hairsine, Divinity III: Stalinverse.
- Cullen Bunn, Battlestar Galactica: Folly of the Gods.
- Roger Langridge, Betty Boop.
- Gerard Way, et.al., Doom Patrol, Volume 1.