Friday, February 16, 2018

Media Notes: Roundup for January 2018

These are the movies and series on DVD that I watched for January 2018.


Movies and films:

  • Hitman: Agent 47 (2015). I still have a soft spot for the 2007 film, but this one was pretty good. I think this one catches the essence of the video game a bit better.  It is a decent and entertaining action film. 
  • The LEGO Batman Movie (2017). After watching the LEGO Movie, I knew I wanted to watch this one. If you like LEGOs,  you will probably like this one where Batman is a loner who needs to learn to work with others once in a while. Nice, light humor. 
  • LEGO Batman: The Movie--DC Heroes Unite (2013). Turns out this came out before the one above. I slightly liked this one better in part because they basically took a lot of the elements of the 1980s films, including the soundtrack. So for me, it was entertaining and a bit of nostalgia. My only issue is that the other superheroes are not really seen much in the film until close to the end. 
  • The Equalizer (2014). This is another entry in the genre I call "badass guy, and it is usually a guy, who for whatever reason has retired or left their profession and wants to be in peace. However, something happens, either the bad guys mess with him or he sees some injustice he can't stand and needs to act." It sounds like vigilante, but not always the case. At any rate, this reimagining of the television series works well enough for an action flick, and naturally Denzel plays McCall well.  The film was a bit slow at the start, but once it got going you knew how it had to end. It was alright. 
  • Dracula Untold (2014). This was a little gem I found at the library I had not heard of. Before Dracula became the vampire we all know, he was Vlad III, and he was a just and fair prince striving to keep his people safe. When his kingdom is threatened by the Turks, he finds that the only way to beat them may be to make a deal to become a monster. The movie was pretty good overall. I did like the set up of the vampire lore in it, and I admit the ending left me wanting more, wondering what may be next.  
  • The LEGO Ninjago Movie (2017). This was totally fun and cute. I think this is a good movie for kids and families. Lloyd is secretly the green ninja; he also happens to be the son of the villain who keeps trying to conquer the city of Ninjago for himself. Lloyd and the other ninjas come together to make things right. Jackie Chan plays the voice of wise (and wiseass) Master Wu, their sensei. I really enjoyed this one, and it left me smiling. 
  • The Revenant (2015). Holy shit, this movie had intense moments. The infamous bear scene is quite intense and gruesome. However, that may be the least of the torments and travails that Hugh Glass goes through to get his revenge after that bear mauling and finding himself abandoned by his hunting party. The movie was a good drama, but it was a bit long and stretched at times. Just when you think he can catch a small break, more shit breaks out. DiCaprio does deliver a heck of a performance. Still, for me, one of those movies you watch once to say you watched it and move on.


Television and other series:

  • Hatfields and McCoys (2012). This is the mini-series that History Channel featured with Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton as the patriarchs of the feuding families. It is well made. It is also close to four and a half hours long, and much like the real feud, about halfway into the film you literally forget why the hell they are feuding in the first place. As the story takes place in the border between Kentucky and West Virginia, the film does have a bit of local interest for folks here in Eastern Kentucky. I liked it, and I do recommend it. Other actors in this include Powers Boothe, who portrays Judge Hatfield, and Tom Berenger, who in the makeup and performance, I could barely know he was Jim Vance. 

No comments: