Wednesday, July 31, 2019

A look at favorite books I read in the last ten years

I saw this prompt over at Jana's That Artsy Reader Girl. As is often the case, bloggers will take a prompt they find and change it or adapt it. The original prompt seems to be: "Favorite Books Released In the Last Ten Years (one book per year)." Jana changed it to "sharing my favorite book that I read during each of the last ten years instead." As Jana points out, this was "very hard."

For me, it was not easy either. I had to go look through previous lists of what I read, then pick out favorites. In some cases, I had multiple favorites in a given year. In a case or two, the pickings were slim, but I felt that I needed to pick something anyhow. As I looked through past lists of what I've read, I was reminded of books I had read and sort of forgotten that I had read. Reactions like "oh wow, I DID read that" combined with "wow" to "what the fuck was I thinking when I read that?" were common too as I did this exercise.

So here it is. I am doing the last ten years from 2018 to 2008. I am also adding my favorite book so far for 2019. This list is relatively subjective, and if you ask me to do it later, titles may change. Plus 2019 is not over yet, so we will see what happens when the year wraps up and I do my end of year review for 2019. So, without further ado, here is the list  links to the book reviews.

2019


Debbie Tung, Book Love.  


2018


Anthony Bourdain and Joel Rose, Hungry Ghosts.


2017


 Becky Libourel Diamond, The Thousand Dollar Dinner


2016

 

Wilfred Santiago, 21: the Story of Roberto Clemente



2015




2014
 

David Sax, Save the Deli.  


2013


Rachel Kramer Bussel, ed., Serving Him


2012


Dan Abnett, Horus Rising (Horus Heresy series, Book 1).


2011


Frank Herbert, Dune
(Photo is the cover for the edition of my personal copy. I did not take this photo by the way)


2010


Eric Garcia, The Repossession Mambo.


2009


George Carlin, 3X Carlin: an Orgy of George (or 3 Times Carlin).


2008

 Frank Miller, Frank Miller's Robocop.  


How about you? Have you read any of these? Do you recall any favorites you may have read in the past ten years? Or do you have any favorite books you want to share and talk about? Feel free to comment.


No comments: