Friday, July 05, 2019

Booknote: The Three Questions

Miguel Ruiz and Barbara Emrys, The Three Questions: How to Discover and Master the Power Within You. New York: Harper One, 2018. ISBN: 978-0-06-239109-4.

Genre: nonfiction
Subgenre: spirituality, self help, inspirational
Format: paperback
Source: Main branch of the Madison County (KY) Public Library

I picked this up mainly because I have read some of his other books, such as The Mastery Of Self (link to my review) and The Four Agreements (interestingly enough, I do not have a review of this. I may reread it and write a review for the blog down the road). This book did not seem as strong as The Four Agreements, then again, neither was The Mastery of Self. Now that I mention it, I do not recall Mastery of Love to be that great neither (another one I read before I started posting reviews on the blog). I am starting to think he is kind of coasting on his first book.

The premise of this book is for readers to consider three important questions. Once you do, you unlock the power within you so you can live better. The three questions are:

  • Who am I?
  • What is real?
  • What is love?

The book is organized as follows:

  • Introduction, which includes the story of the pearls of wisdom, i.e. the questions. 
  • A section developing each question. 
The book does invite the reader to do some serious inner work and reflection. Much of the theme is about liberating  yourself from doctrines, dogmas, and versions of reality that were imposed on you by others. It is a good message overall.

The book can be quite repetitive at times. I get some of that is the teaching, but after a while some of the parts can be a bit tedious.

Overall, if you've enjoyed the author before, you may want to read this. If this is your first foray, you may want to try The Four Agreements first. In the end, I liked it, but I'd say it's optional reading.

3 out of 5 stars.

* * * * * 

Additional reading notes:

Don Miguel must have written this before the ascent of the Pendejo in Chief because the master's vision of government is seriously innocent:

"The kind of government most of us are familiar with has three main branches: a legislative, an executive, and a judicial branch. All three have the overriding purpose of serving the welfare of the country. A system of checks and balances makes sure on branch of government doesn't act in ways that undermine the others" (54).

 I honestly think he was watching reruns of Schoolhouse Rock a bit too much (likely this episode) because that description is as far from reality about government as you can get, specially in United States. He is making a point that our minds are like a government. On that basis, I  am glad my mind is nothing like the clusterfuck that passes for government in the United States. In these times, I do not think that was a good example. It comes across as seriously naive.

On respect. This is not an easy point for me. I believe common courtesy can be given. Respect has to be earned, and again, contrary to the author's optimism, there are evil and despicable people not deserving respect. Still, he writes:

"We don't have to like people to show them respect. All human relationships thrive on mutual respect, whether or  not we can agree on ideas" (64). 

On being wise. This I could agree with:

"Wise men and women distinguish themselves by challenging what they know. At some point, they decide to take a  deeper look at reality, questioning the world they've created in their minds. They dare to see what is, not what they were taught to see. They refrain from telling old stories and confirming common beliefs. They refuse to let memory dictate reality. They remove the blinders and start a journey toward awareness" (160).




No comments: