Monday, August 05, 2019

Booknote: The Language of Tarot

Jeannie Reed, The Language of Tarot: a Proven System for Reading the Cards. Woodbury, MN: Llewellyn Worldwide, 2019. ISBN: 9780738759425. 

Genre: nonfiction
Subgenre: Tarot, divination, cartomancy
Format: e-galley
Source; NetGalley

Up front, I will say two things.

One, this is not a book for beginners. The author may be constantly telling us about her teaching experience and background and the classes and her students, but this is still not a beginner book. It does assume you come to it with some Tarot knowledge already.

Two, the book has some issues that may be significant and may cause concern for some readers. I will go over some of those in this review. I will point out that she does include two prominent disclaimers at the start of the book on health and healing and on legal matters. This is not uncommon; other Tarot and "spiritual advisors" do similar disclaimers, but then again they also tend to stay away from topics in the legal, medical, and financial fields, which this author happily engages in despite any disclaimers.

A lot of this book is the author telling about her experiences, how she came to divination and cartomancy, how she built her practice, and how she discovered the best method for reading cards, namely her method. To put it in simple terms (and I am simplifying for this review), the method is to read the cards as words and phrases so a spread makes sentences you can then "read" and thus be accurate. Is it the best method to read Tarot (or other oracle cards)? The author is fully confident it is and that settles it. I am not so sure given other authors and books I've read that do it differently and do it well. Personally, I feel leery of folks who say their way is definitive and if you don't get it or do it there is something wrong with you (you are not "ready," need to study more, practice more, etc. until you get it their way). This author does that. All I can say is that, while her method can be good, I've read enough to know it is not the last word.

In addition, humility does not seem to be a virtue in this book as the author is constantly reminding the readers of her multiple talents. For example, she makes sure we know when she tells us: "So I guess I do have the instinct that's needed for crime solving work" (6- emphasis in the original). I reread that line, and my snarky reply would be, "so does Batman, but you do not hear him brag about it." For me, that is an issue. There is a current in this book of the author constantly reminding us of her credentials, her skills, how good she is at various things, so on. I'd say a bit more showing and a lot less telling. The author seems to be unaware however since she writes later in the book: "In this regard, I watched a reader once who was so darned invested in showing off, I was disgusted" (20). Ironic since up to at least that point in the book the author has been showing off and bragging about how good and better than others she is a reader.

The real big issue for me was her enthusiastic embrace of card reading for things like health, and this is highly emphasized in the book. Sure, the author may give enough legal disclaimers (to cover against a potential lawsuit or two), but she also writes things like: "In medicine, it [Tarot] can be the mystical equivalent of an X-Ray" (61). That seems a bit shaky to say the least. However, all I will say to others reading the book is that your mileage may vary based on how skeptical or believing you may be in and of things like this.

A note on the card definitions section of the book, and I noted this as I was reading the book just after finishing the Major Arcana section, but it is applicable to all the definitions chapters. After reading this section,  the definitions, which are (mainly the author's), seem awfully short. To be honest, her shorthand definitions at times are not that much different than "traditional" keywords or definitions. For all the buildup earlier in the book, this part of the book was lackluster. Do recall these chapters cover how the author reads cards, her notes in a way (i.e. what others may call a Tarot journal).

Overall, the book seems more geared to professionals and those who may be getting ready to go pro. This can explain why it feels like a lot of material is left out on a book ostensibly made to teach about Tarot. As I stated previously, it assumes readers already bring in a lot such as ability with and knowledge of Tarot. It also seems to assume the reader having psychic ability (this is a given to the author). In the end, the author makes some good points, but she does not do so consistently. It is more like listening to some rambling guru who now and then remembers a good insight, shares it, then goes back to rambling with little or no follow up. I'd say skim the book, find the good parts that can help your craft (there are some good exercises in the book), skip the rest.

This is a book to borrow, unless you really like the author. Otherwise, borrow it and skim it. For libraries, I see this as a very optional purchase. If you have a small Tarot and/or pagan collection, skip this one. There are better and more accessible books on Tarot out there you can get before this one. If your library has a comprehensive collection on Tarot, I'd say still consider it optional unless you feel a need to be a completist.

For me it was just OK, mainly for the few good parts it has. I did learn a thing or two, but overall, I am glad I read it so I can move on to other books and learning.

2 out of 5 stars.

* * * * * 

Additional reading notes:

Author's definition of oracles:

"To be clear: oracles are methods and devices for knowing what's hidden. Knowing the future" (2).


The author does not believe in chance, and you need to work out your brain more to get that psychic ability working:

"See, nothing is by chance. If you're meant to recognize something that's there right in front of you, you will. What you have to do to get there is to develop your right brain as if it's a muscle" (3. Emphasis in the original). 

The author does not recommend any old book:

"If I recommend a book, it's because that book and its thinking have stood the test of time" (4). 


I get it, but if I did that in reader's advisory, it would severely limit what I could recommend to readers.

The books she does recommend; I've added links to WorldCat for those who may want to find the books:

"Eden Gray's basic book, A Complete Guide to the Tarot; Rachel Pollack's two books on the two Arcana; Sallie Nichols' Jung and the Tarot: an Archetypal Journey. These are not 'old.' In my opinion, they're seminal to my chosen field. In the same way, I recommend without hesitation medium Jeffrey Wands' Another Door Opens. This book and its principle will stand the test of time" (5). 

I am guessing the author is referring to Pollack's 78 Degrees of Wisdom, which used to be published in two volumes, but you can find it now as a single book. The Pollack and the Nichols are already on my TBR list, and I have copies of them. The Gray is also on my TBR list, but it is lower on the list than the previous two. Do note there are many other books, old and new, you may want to read in your cartomancy journey, so feel free to explore, find the ones that work for you.


 For the author, it's the Rider-Waite Tarot deck or nothing pretty much (although she will accept some decks that many may call "clones." of Rider-Waite). By the way, it is Rider-Waite for her; poor Pamela Smith does not even get a mention even though she did the art for Arthur Waite, but I digress.The author writes:

"I need to say one more thing here, kind of a warning: tarot packs that are all pictures of shoes or other objects are not tarot packs. They are pretending to be. What you want and need is probably either the Rider-Waite pack (which I started with) or a more recent pack based on their designs. See, the Rider-Waite tarot images were very carefully thought out over a hundred years ago, and this pack has inspired hundreds of other packs, including the Morgan-Greet, the Robin Wood, Hanson-Roberts, and Aquarian, all of which are in use to this day. And this tells us that the Rider-Waite images and thinking have stood the test of time because they work" (9. Emphasis in the original).

I could say so much about the above quote, but I will refrain myself. I see, for instance, no mention of Thoth Tarot deck, which is also in  use to this day, and I am sure Crowley and Lady Harris also put a lot of thought into it. I will also note as a side note that the person who inspired me to learn and study Tarot and cartomancy uses a Thoth deck. She is a pretty good professional reader here locally. Plus, before RWS, there was Marseilles Tarot, also still in use today. Anyhow, this is where, once again, I quote the Rivera Tarot Corollary to Ranganathan:

"Every deck its user/owner/collector, and every user/owner/collector their deck." 


The following statement by the author just makes me wonder what LGBT and queer Tarotistas may have to say or comment:

"There is no particular card in Tarot to represent homosexuality, despite the percentages being thrown around" (59). 

Do note that in the same page as the statement above, the author then goes on to tell us how she does notice certain cards, court cards in her example, did have "meanings that I both consciously and probably unconsciously associate with gayness" (59. Emphasis in original). This seems a bit contradictory, but this is not the only contradiction in this book. Actually, it is a common pattern where then author says something relatively absolute then contradicts it with a personal example or some other exception. Going back to what I said, I wonder what LGBT and queer Tarotistas may say on the quote, also in light of recent Tarot decks being developed and in use today that reflect queerness and LGBT values and images.

And here is one of the parts that, well, I will just say I was not comfortable with and leave it at that. The author does not practice medicine (see all the disclaimers) but. . .

"No, I don't use oracles to practice medicine. It's against the law to practice medicine without a license in the first place. But over the years I have been blessed to do some tremendous healing work using cards. As a matter of fact, I'm told there's a doctor at New York University Hospital here in Manhattan who refers patients to me occasionally, when the medical staff is stumped" (63). 

I will just leave readers to decide on that one.




No comments: