Wednesday, April 08, 2020

Deck Review: Panda Tarot

Severino Baraldi, Panda Tarot. Woodbury, MN: Llewellyn, 2017. ISBN: 9780738756493. (Published by Lo Scarabeo, but Llewellyn distributes in the U.S.).

Genre: divination, card decks
Subgenre: Tarot, pandas
Format: 78 card deck plus little white book
Source: I own this one. 


I got this deck mainly because it features cute pandas. I've found this is a pretty good deck for readings. If you use and/or are familiar with the Rider Waite Smith (RWS) Tarot system, you can use this deck as it draws on RWS.

The Hermit- IX
Let me start with the Little White Book (LWB). It's the usual little booklet in five languages that Lo Scarabeo provides with many of their decks. You get 11 small pages of content in English (out of 63 pages total in the booklet). The brief introduction in the LWB hints at a story:

"Try to imagine. In Shaanxi, a series of caves were found. From one such excavation, a pack of tarot cards were found. Depicting anthropomorphic pandas, this deck is believed to be a relic of a race of sentient pandas who lived in ancient times" (3). 

Nine of Wands
The LWB's introduction also talks a bit about pandas in nature. I wish the
author would have a created a full book with the story of those ancient sentient pandas. It would have been a nice enhancement to the deck. Still, you do not need the story or much of the LWB to use and enjoy this deck. The card meanings in the LWB are fairly basic. If you are a beginner, the meanings can give you a start, and then you can keep reading and researching further. Advanced Tarot users can likely skip the LWB. I usually read any materials that come with a deck, and I found the LWB useful enough to keep it handy, but I can use the deck without it.

The cards have a colorful, bright, and playful art style. Most of the pandas are dressed in traditional style Chinese garb. The images are basically RWS depictions, so you are familiar with that system, then the deck will be easy to use. The pandas are expressive in emotions and actions, which looks good and can help your intuition. As in other Lo Scarabeo decks, Major Arcana cards are identified by Roman numeral without names. Minor Arcana cards are identified by Arabic numeral and suit symbols; court cards have a court symbol and a suit symbol. Other than a small frame on top and bottom for card identifiers, the sides are borderless, which makes the art look better and more open. The cards measure about 4 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches. I find them fairly easy to shuffle. I do not usually riffle shuffle, but if you do, these cards should work well for that.

Ace of Cups
When I read for other people, I like to have a few decks on hand to give people some choices. I always try to have at least one "family friendly" decks, and this is definitely one that is friendly for all ages. Other than some pandas au naturel, there is no explicit imagery. As I mentioned, the art is bright, colorful and playful. In reading, I find it reads well and provides direct answers. I'd say this deck can make a good reliable workhorse deck. It may not be one for very deep readings, but it works for daily use and basic readings. It's a good deck to use when you want something light and positive with a small touch of humor. For me, it's a basic deck I can use when I want a bit of cheer and brightness, plus pandas are cute. I am happy to have it in my collection. I really like it.

4 out of 5 stars (mainly for the cards).


Note: photos are my own from my copy of the deck.



No comments: