Friday, July 31, 2020

Deck Review: Black Cats Tarot

Maria Kurara, Black Cats Tarot. Woodbury, MN: Llewellyn, 2013. ISBN: 978-8865271926. (Published by Lo Scarabeo but distributed in the U.S. by Llewellyn; reference link to Aeclectic).

Genre: divination, card decks
Subgenre: Tarot, cats
Format: 78 cards deck plus a little white book.
Source: I own this one. 


The Magician-I. 

This is the deck I used during April 2020. The deck comes in a tuck box including the 78 cards and a little white book (LWB). If you like cats, and you do Tarot, this may be a deck for you.

Let's go over the LWB briefly. The booklet has a paragraph discussing cats, especially black cats, and their role in collective imagination and magic. After that, you get the meanings for the Major Arcana and the Minor Arcana. You get just two to four sentences per card. In addition, you get a 6-card spread for this deck (or any deck I guess): the "Cat's Tail." The meanings are mostly within Rider Waite Smith (RWS) system, but there can be some differences. However, don't feel tied to the booklet's meanings; you can read the deck on traditional RWS or by intuition. I read through the booklet, and I kept it handy when using the deck. I made note of booklet meanings now and then, but I could manage without it. Overall, this is your basic Lo Scarabeo LWB in six languages, but it is still worth keeping.

The cards are colorful and playful in terms of art. Except for two white cats, all the felines are black
Justice-XI.
cats. The cats are slightly anthropomorphized but they still act and move like felines. For the most part, the art stays close to RWS. I say it stays close; the deck is not an RWS clone with cats. The artist gives her own interpretation to the cards. For example, the Ten of Swords in this deck features a cat exiting out of barren land through a door. This still conveys a sense of finality, ending a cycle often associated with this card, but it is less extreme and scary.

This is a nice and easy deck to use. The cats can be playful but also expressive. The cards work well for readings. I enjoy the playfulness of the deck. Yet this is not just a "light" deck. The deck can and does deliver deep messages as well. It has a small dark touch to it, something consistent with the mysterious and dark black cats. I really enjoyed using this deck, and it is one I feel good about using to read for others.

Ace of Wands.
The cards do have a border, but I feel it works well enough. The Major Arcana cards are simply identified by Roman numeral. The Minor Arcana cards are identified by Arabic numeral and suit symbol. Court cards are identified by a small court symbol and a suit symbol. In this deck, Strength is VIII and Justice is XI. The cards measure 4 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches. The card backs are reversible for folks who read reversals.

Overall, this is a nice deck that works well for most readings. It has a bit of a playful element, but it can also be serious. Cat fanciers will likely enjoy using this deck. I know I did. I mentioned this is a friendly deck; if you need a deck that is "family friendly," this is a good choice. I really like it, and it is one I will keep in regular rotation.

4 out of 5 stars.

No comments: