Friday, September 04, 2020

Reader Problems: A Book Tag

Here is another of those blogger tags, this time for "Reader Problems." I found this via Angel's Guilty Pleasures. Questions are as provided.

You have 20,000 books in your TBR, how in the world do you decide what to read next?

Pretty much by mood. To be honest, while I keep a TBR list, I do not check back on it as often as I probably should. One, I often have galleys that I need to read, or that I would like to read. Two, I often read by mood: what do I feel like reading at a given time? I have a semi-formal rule that I usually have one nonfiction book, one fiction book, and one graphic novel going at any given time. With COVID-19, that has slowed a bit but I do what I can. I am pretty much at peace with a big TBR list. I have faith I will either get to many of the books on the list, or I will say that I did what I could.
 

You’re halfway through a book and you’re just not loving it. Do you put it down or are you committed?

Put it down. If a book is not working out for me, I put it down. I may go back to it, but very often I do not, and I am OK with that. Life is too short to drag yourself through a book you are not enjoying. Only exception to this is if this is a book I am committed to reviewing, say a galley I requested or that I got sent. In that case, I will suck it up and get through it for the sake of doing the review. But otherwise, my recreational reading I am perfectly fine dropping anything that I do not like. 

The end of the year is coming and you’re behind on your reading challenge, do you try to catch up? And if so, how?

No, I do not try to catch up. I do not need that kind of stress at the end of the year. If I make it, I make it. If not, oh well, I can always try again the following year. 

The covers of a series you love do not match, how do you cope?

This would have bothered me in younger days, but now, as long as I have a series that I want to have, a few mismatches are no big deal. 

Everyone and their mother loves a book that you do not. Who do you bond with over your shared feelings?

Probably not much bonding would be going on. I tend to be fairly introverted. If I think a book is not all that, I tend to just ignore it and move on. 

You’re reading a book in public and you’re about to start crying. How do you deal?

This is unlikely to happen since I am not likely to pick up that kind of book. But if I did, I'd suck it up til I got home the cry in the privacy of my home. 

The sequel to a book you loved just came out, but you’ve forgotten a lot of what happens. Are you going to reread it?

Depending on how much I remember, I may reread the first or previous book to remind myself. If the new book can stand on its own fairly well then I just read on.  A good example for me here is the Horus Heresy series. The first three books in the series set up the rest of the story. Once you know the basics, you can keep reading in the series. In this case, the series often tells of events you already know about from a different point of view or from a different time frame. Again, if you know the basics, the rest falls into place. Plus in that series, to be honest, there are some books you could skip and still get the full story just fine. Overall quality can vary from very good to very forgettable.

You do not want anyone to borrow your books, how do you politely say no when someone asks?

I just say no. I do not mess with that, and no, I do not lend out my books. 

You have picked up and put down 5 books in the last month. How do you get over this reading slump?

I keep trying until I find a book that gets my attention. Another option is just to read short and easy things to get the groove back. So I may pick up a small book of poetry or short stories, or a collection of comics, stuff that is easy and quick to read to give myself a bit of a success feeling, then I can move back up to heavier books. 

There are so many books coming out that you are dying to read, how many do you end up buying?

Oh goodness, this is not a concern really for me. I do not read by hype, so I rarely if ever feel that I have to read the latest thing coming out. Some of those coming out books I read in galley form, so by time they are out, I have read them. Otherwise, I have no rush whatsoever to read anything specific, so I do not buy many books anymore. I've gotten wiser about that. I use my libraries (both my work library and my local public library) a lot to get things I want to read, and they are free. I am not saying I do not buy books. I just buy a lot less, and often they are second hand/used. But overall, I get most of my reading from the library. 

After you purchase all of these books that you’re dying to read how long do they sit on your shelves before you get to them?

See my answer above. Having said that, they often sit on my shelf way too long. 

 




No comments: