Friday, October 02, 2020

Booknote: Tarot Healer

Leeza Robertson, Tarot Healer: Using the Cards to Deepen Your Chakra Healing Work. Woodbury, MN: Llewellyn Worldwide, 2020. ISBN: 9780738763767.
 
Genre: nonfiction
Subgenre: Tarot, chakras, self help, cartomancy
Format: e-book galley
Source: NetGalley
 
In my cartomancy journey, I am always looking for good books on Tarot and cartomancy. I'll admit that other than knowing there is a concept of chakras, I came to this book with no real knowledge of what chakras are or what they do. However, I've read and liked books by this author, and I was curious, so I took a chance. I got to learn some new things. I will mention that while you do learn a bit about chakras, the book does assume some prior knowledge. 

The book is arranged as follows: 

  • Introduction.
  • A chapter for each chakra. Seven chapters total.
  • Conclusion.
  • Recommended reading list. 
  • Bibliography.


In the introduction, the author lays out her roadmap, goals, and makes sure we understand the text does not substitute for medical advice and information. After that, we get a chapter focusing on each chakra. Each chakra chapter has the same structure of seven sections presenting the main issues of each chakra. Each chapter also features exercises to do along with your Tarot deck including spreads. Note that if you read Tarot, and you do not read reversals, there will be reversals here, and the author has a reason for that. I don't usually read cards in reversed/upside down positions (though I can often sense if I need to read a card as a reversal), so the author's use of reversals was not an issue for me. In addition, the author encourages use of journaling; journaling is something I find useful in my own Tarot journey, so I am glad to see it at work here. She also encourages you to use other Tarot books to supplement your learning as needed. 

 A strength of the book is the author's well organized and nurturing teaching style. Even with the very minimal idea  of what a chakra is when I started, I felt I could read, do the exercises, and learn. I can definitely see myself taking time to do the exercises, and I can see how it could deepen my knowledge of Tarot. She takes you step by step, encouraging writing, reflection, and thinking along the way. I read the book through for this review, but this is a book to patiently work through with journal and Tarot cards in hand. 

As I mentioned, the book does assume some prior knowledge of chakras. She gives enough to those of us with minimal knowledge, but if you are like me, consider getting a good book on chakras. Because of that, I was a little disappointed the author did not include a book on chakras in her recommended reading list nor in her bibliography. A title or two could have been helpful. She also mentions doing work with crystals, so again, keep a crystals reference book handy if needed. Do note that using crystals to work with this book is optional. 

Overall, I really like this book, and I would like to try at least some of the exercises out. I do recommend it. 

4 out of 5 stars. 

* * * * * 

Additional reading notes: 


How the author describes the book: 

"Think of this book as a self-study course, one that combines the energetic healing work of the chakra system with the healing energy of the tarot, and although this is not your normal tarot book, you will have plenty of fun with the cards along the way and may even learn a few ways to read the cards differently. This book, in essence, is a book to add to both your energy healing library and your tarot resource library. It is a book that takes you on a journey through your seven chakras and helps you get to know yourself and your body better" (2). 


The author asks us to select a couple of decks to use in the book, although not too clear on why since it seems one deck may be enough. She writes, 

"This will help ground your healing work and make you more comfortable with integrating the tarot cards into your healing journey" (7). 


On journaling: 

"Journaling plays a major role in the healing process, and I recommend you dedicate a journal just for the work you do in this book. Your journal will become an extension of this book and will be the place you collect the information you will need for each of the chakras and each of the issues inside the chakras. You will be using your journal for automatic writing, affirmations, problem-solving, and guided writing work. I advise you to not skip or skim over the journal exercises in this book, but instead, sit with all of them, take your time, and be present with the journal work" (7).

 

* * * * * 


This book qualifies for the following 2020 Reading Challenges: 



#ArcApocalypse

No comments: