Friday, November 27, 2020

Booknote: Batman: Curse of the White Knight

Sean Gordon Murphy, et.al., Batman: Curse of the White Knight. Burbank, CA: DC Comics, 2020.  ISBN: 978-1-77950-448-7.
 
Genre: graphic novels and comics
Subgenre: superheroes
Format: e-book galley
Source: NetGalley
 

While I enjoyed Batman: White Knight (link to my review), I am not as enthusiastic about this sequel. On the positive, the story has a fast pace, so it was a fairly quick read for me. The sympathetic and strong portrayal of Harley Quinn is also a positive for the volume. However, that is about it. 

A big issue with this volume is the very convoluted plot that is not always easy to follow. In addition, it feels like the authors just keep tossing in plot elements just to see what may stick or not. As if that was not enough, Azrael kills just about every other major villain, which made me wonder who would be left when all this is said and done. Where the first story was intriguing, this one is a mess, and it just seems hellbent on destroying the Batman character. This does not seem sensible given no clear alternative is presented (or one that makes sense. Yes, I am aware this is a comic book, but still some degree of coherence is desirable). 

Overall, compared to the first volume, this one was disappointing. It has fast pacing, flash, explosions, and killing, and that is about it. The plot is a convoluted mess that makes me thankful this is on DC's Black Label (i.e. an alternative story). The ending sets up yet another sequel. I'll probably read it just to see where this train wreck ends, but I am keeping the expectations low. I do wonder how much more they can stretch this out. 
 
By the way, I am not recommending this for library graphic novel collections. If you got the first one, and you feel a need to complete the set, I guess go for it, but this is one that is avoidable. 

2 out of 5 stars barely. 


Book qualifies for these 2020 Reading Challenges: 



#ArcApocalypse


No comments: