Friday, July 16, 2021

Deck Review: Light Seer's Tarot

Chris-Anne, Light Seer's Tarot. Carlsbad, CA: Hay House Publishing, 2019. ISBN: 9781401958039. (Link to publisher)
 
Genre: Tarot deck
Subgenre: contemporary art, RWS (some), boho
Format: 78 card deck set with small guidebook
Source: I own this one 
 
This set includes the 78 card deck and a small guidebook. The edition I am reviewing now is the mass produced edition, and I'll say right away I think the publisher did well by this deck. The guidebook includes the following: 

  • A note from the author to readers.
  • Working and healing with the Light Seer's Tarot. This includes basics, reversals, connect with your cards, how to do readings, and five spreads. This section is brief but provides just enough for beginners to get started. 
  • The Major Arcana. Each entry includes a small black and white image of the card, light seer (upright) keywords, shadow seer (reversal) keywords, a paragraph or two describing and discussing the image and meanings, and an affirmation. 
  • The Minor Arcana. Each entry has the same features as the Major Arcana. 


The card entries are the strength of the guidebook. The writing reinforces and clarifies the images in the cards. The author describes this deck as a healing deck, and the text supports that. Text is uplifting and very accessible. It is mostly positive and affirming, but don't go in thinking you'll get sugar coating. This is not an esoteric deck, but rather a deck more in tune with daily life, and the text reflects that. You get enough to help you enhance and support your intuition. Book is basic and easy to read with engaging and uplifting text.

 The cards are great. The publisher describes the art style as "contemporary, boho, and intuitive." That description is accurate. While I am not a fan of the word "boho," it makes for a nice shortcut for some folks to know what the art is. This is a deck that works well for intuitive readers. If you do not see yourself as an intuitive reader, this is a deck that can help stimulate intuition. Still, the colorful and vivid art is clear enough that anyone can pick up this deck and start reading. In addition, there are hints of Rider Waite Smith (RWS) system, so if you use RWS, you can definitely pick this up. 

For me, as soon as I picked this card deck up I felt right at home. I felt confident and comfortable

The Hierophant-V

reading with this deck. I love the images and colors. These are cards you can spend time looking at them and reflecting. Images are simple and expressive. By simple, I mean they are easy to look at and are clear. To be honest, there is nothing terribly complicated or esoteric, and I think that is a strength in this deck. For me, this is a deck I can pull out any time and get an honest reading. It may be described as uplifting, but this deck can deal with shadow and darker topics as well; it does so in a constructive way that engages the reader and gives hope. 

In addition, this is a deck you can definitely use in readings for other people. For folks who may not like "traditional" images of Tarot or "scary" images, this deck is a solid alternative. For example, the Three of Swords is still powerful, but it is maybe less jarring than in other Tarot decks. For folks who keep track, there are some diverse elements in the deck in terms of ethnicity and color.

Card names are traditional, i.e. none have been changed. Strength is 8 and Justice is 11. The cards are borderless, which works great for the art. A simple cursive script at the bottom of the card identifies each card. All cards with numbers use Arabic numerals. Card stock is thick, and it feels strong. If you do riffle shuffling, this deck should hold up and last. Note that due to the thick cardstock, the deck overall may feel larger in your hands; the deck has a bit of heft to it. Cards measure about 4 3/4 inches by 2 3/4 inches. 

Four of Wands

Overall, I really like and enjoy this deck. It quickly became a favorite for me, and it is a deck I always want nearby. When I read for others, I usually have a few different decks so clients can choose, and this is a good choice to include. I enjoy the modern and colorful art with no pretensions and imagery that speaks clearly and in a nurturing way. This is a deck I would definitely recommend to Tarot readers at any level. If this is someone's first deck, I think it will work given how clear and accessible it is. Even if you have never read Tarot before, odds are you could read with some ease using this deck. It is a solid, intuitive, reliable, and accessible deck and a work of beauty. Glad to have it in my collection. This is also a deck I would be glad to give as a gift to anyone, especially beginners.

On a final side notes, the packaging is nice, compact, and solid. I wish more decks were packaged as simply and nicely as this one.  I think more publishers should take note instead of using large excessive boxes that either take up too much shelf space, or you'll end up breaking down and tossing while you put the deck in a bag and the book, if a regular book, on the shelf.

5 out of 5 stars. 

 

 

 

 

This set qualifies for the following 2021 Reading Challenges: 



Note: Deck cover photo from publisher. Card photos are mine from my copy of the deck.



No comments: