Friday, September 17, 2021

Deck Review: Druidcraft Tarot

Philip Carr-Gomm, Stephanie Carr-Gomm, and Will Worthington, Druidcraft Tarot. Sussex, United Kingdom: Connections Book Publishing Ltd., 2010. ISBN: 9781859062739.
 
Genre: Tarot deck
Subgenre: druidry, Wicca, Celtic, pagan
Format: 78 card deck with a small book or with a big book (depends on which publisher you get the deck from. WorldCat record above refers to the small book edition).
Source: I own this one   

 
I used this deck in June 2021. I wanted a deck that invoked nature and outdoors and a bit of summer, and this deck worked out well. As I used it throughout the month, I came to enjoy and appreciate the art more. 

A small edition note before I go on. I initially bought the set that comes with a big book and cards published by St. Martin's Press. I bought it new. Later on, by serendipity I found a used copy of the smaller set published by Connections Book Publishing. Same exact deck, expect it comes with a small guidebook. Half Price Books had it bundled with a copy of the big book, and the bundle was under $10, so yes I bought it. The used set is the one I use now, and I kept the new one as a back up copy. 

Let's start with the big book. This is a pretty solid book. The book is arranged as follows: 

  • Introduction. This includes a short overview of Tarot, on Tarot for Wicca and Druidry (where you get Druidcraft term by the way), a bit on Western magical tradition, and other sources of inspiration. It's a short introduction at eight pages, but it packs a lot of information and leaves room for seeking further reading. 
  • The Outer Mysteries. This is the Minor Arcana including the court cards. 
  • The Inner Mysteries. This is the Major Arcana. 
  • How to use the cards. This includes six spreads and some sample readings. 
  • Further Reading/Resources. Here is a list of general books and a list of "Tarot decks with books on themes relevant to The Druidcraft Tarot." There is also a link to the authors' website (but the link is not active as of this post). 

The Moon-XVIII
The authors present a Tarot deck that brings Wicca and Druidry together. They acknowledge those are
two different paths, but people often combine teachings and elements of both traditions in their practice. The authors write: 

"Just as the Tarot can help us understand so many different spiritual approaches, it also offers an ideal medium for exploring the central ideas of Wicca and Druidry" (7).

The book's text focuses on Wicca and Druidry in a fairly accessible way. I'd say it is more introducing concepts than going in depth. It gives a bit to get people started then they can do further reading as they wish. While I am sure Wiccans, Druids, and those who draw on those traditions will likely appreciate the book and deck,  you do not have to be within those traditions to use and enjoy the book and deck. I am not, and I can use and work with the deck and book just fine. 

On card entries: 

  • Court cards get keywords, short description, meaning, and reverse meaning.
  • Pip cards get keywords, meaning, and reverse meaning. 
  • Major Arcana include keywords, description, significance, meaning (more expanded than for Minor Arcana cards), message of the card, reverse meaning. 
  • All entries have a small black and white photo of the card. 

 

Four of Swords
The content draws on Wiccan, Druid, and Celtic elements as well as Rider Waite Smith (RWS). It is accessible and easy to read, but if you are not versed you may need to look up a term or two now and then. Still the book is a very good and detailed companion to the deck. 

The small book is similar in feel to the big book, but it is a bit compressed. Entries for cards are shorter but still have the basics. For me, I take the small book with the deck when I travel with the deck and keep the big book at home for reference and study. 

The cards' art is done in paintings. I mean it is not computer manipulation or such. Cards are very evocative of the ancient times in the British Isles. The colors are vivid, but they are not loud. As I mentioned, I wanted a nature themed deck, and this one definitely fits the bill. At times, looking through the cards feels like I am reading a story book with a bit of history and folklore. The images fall mainly within RWS, so if you read within that system this deck can work for you. However, the images are clear enough they can work well for intuitive readers too. There are a few name changes, but this is an easy to pick up deck to do readings and Tarot study. 

For a Tarot deck, cards are on the larger size. Cards measure about 5 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches. Card stock feels durable, not too thick. I do like the larger size, but they may not be easy to shuffle. Larger size allows me to see and appreciate the art better. 

Overall, this is a beautiful and very accessible deck that anyone can use and enjoy. For folks interested in Wicca and Druidry this can be a good option, and for some seekers this deck could help lead them down those paths, a starting point. Deck features great art that is calm, peaceful, and evocative. If you can, I'd say get the set with the big book; cards on both sets are the same. I am very happy to have this in my collection, and it is a deck I plan to revisit soon, plus maybe try to find and read some of the suggested readings. Excellent work. 

5 out of 5 stars. 

This deck kit qualifies for the following 2021 Reading Challenges: 



Note: Cover photo from WorldCat record; I took the card photos from my personal copy of the deck.



No comments: