Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Deck Review: The Soul's Journey Lesson Cards

James Van Praagh, The Soul's Journey Lesson Cards. Carslbad, CA: Hay House, 2014. ISBN: 9781401944711 (link to publisher).
 
Genre: oracle decks
Subgenre: inspirational
Format: 44-card deck with small guidebook
Source: I own this one
 

I first used this deck in December 2021 for my weekly oracle card draw. If you are looking for a good deck for daily, weekly, or other regular reflections and lessons, this is a good choice. For me, I may consider taking this deck to my office to use for weekly reflections. 
 
The kit includes a 44-card deck and a small companion book in a solid small box. This is the kind yet simple packaging I like for decks. The guidebook has "How To Work With The Soul's Journey Lesson Cards" followed by entries with the card meanings.  The initial section of the book includes an introduction and steps to use the cards, including simple spread suggestions.

Each card entry in the guidebook includes a small black and white photo of the card, the card's keyword, the card's message, and the meaning/interpretation. Each card gets a page and a half for its entry. 

The deck is based on the idea of infinite wisdom, inner wisdom from the Divine we can and should work to access "to help us rise above obstacles, circumnavigate roadblocks, and guide us to the best possible outcome" (1). For believers, this deck can be a good tool. If you are not a believer or not sure, these cards can still be a great meditation and reflection resource. The deck is also good if all you want is a daily or other regular affirmation and/or message. The book messages are simple, nurturing, and enhance the card messages. While you could just draw a card, I do suggest reading the book too to get the full picture. Overall, it's a nice little book that gives you enough to make the cards work for you. 

The cards are beautiful and very colorful. The deck features a good variety of mandalas in different shapes and patterns. I would view this as a light deck, so it can be good for light workers. The cards can also be good to supplement a Tarot reading or another divinatory oracle, perhaps to provide a closing message or affirmation. Cards are simple yet they offer possibilities in options to use the deck. As I said, art is colorful. It is bright and lively. The mandalas are beautiful and invite you to just look and reflect. 

The cards are borderless. Card stock feels good, yet flexible and durable. Cards do have a light glossy finish. Card back is not reversible, but I do not think this deck was designed for reversals. My edition is an older one, so it has gilded edging. The publisher recently decided to stop putting gilded edges on their decks. The gilded edges are nice, but I would still like the deck without it. The cards measure about 5 inches by 3 1/2 inches. 

Overall, I really like this deck. It works well for meditation and reflection, but it has potential for other uses such as light work, divination, and cartomancy. I also like that it is very accessible, and one I could use with other people. I am glad to have it in my collection. 

4 out of 5 stars. 

This kit qualifies for this 2022 Reading Challenge: 



 
Note: Cover photo is from publisher. Card photos are mine from my copy of the deck.

No comments: