Friday, May 27, 2022

Deck Review: Energy Oracle Cards

Sandra Anne Taylor, Energy Oracle Cards. Carlsbad, CA: Hay House, 2013. ISBN: 978-1-4019-4044-7. (Link to publisher.)

 

I first used this deck for my weekly oracle card draws during the month of April 2022. The set comes in a small solid box with 53 cards and a small paperback book. 

The book, which has 176 pages, is arranged as follows: 

Card 20-Envy
  • Introduction.
  • About the Cards. The author explains the deck's concept. 
  • Reading the Energy Oracle Cards. Some basic instruction on doing a reading with the cards. 
  • Card Spreads. Gives some short suggestions on how to phrase questions. It also includes four card spreads. 
  • Invocation. A short invocation/prayer to call on Spirit. As the author points out, this is optional. 
  • Meanings of the Cards. Each card entry includes card number, a small black and white image of the card, a card message line, upright and reversed interpretations. Each entry is about 2 to 3 pages long. Entries also include an affirmation. 
 
 
The thick small book is very easy to read. The messages are mostly positive, but it will give you what you need to hear as well. The emphasis is on providing lessons for life at a given moment. The text is pretty concise; the book pretty much gets to the point right away.  

The cards are nice, bright, and pretty colorful. The art by Jena DellaGrottaglia is good, but it may feel similar to other Hay House decks. For me, this deck reminded of Colette Baron-Reid's Enchanted Map Oracle in terms of art style and format. Probably because DellaGrottaglia also did the art for that one. However, the cards here are distinctive on their own. The art is mainly digital work with realistic and fantasy elements. 
 
Card 24- Adjacent Possibilities
The deck includes seven chakra cards connected to an archangel (cards 35 to 41). Those folks who work with chakras may appreciate these cards, but you do not have to work with chakras to use the cards. I drew one of the chakra cards during the month, and it worked find for me. While I understand the minimal basics of chakras, it is not a concept I have studied. Still, the card worked for me. That leads to my next point. 

The art work in the cards is relatively clear. I found that I often could read these cards intuitively. I often do an initial intuitive read then look at the book to get a full reading, and I found overall that I can read these cards with relative ease. I still do want to keep the book handy. The images have a good amount of detail. The faces on the cards with people are very expressive, which helps intuition too. Some of the images on the cards can be a bit surreal too. 

The cards do have a gold colored border around the image. Cards are numbered and have a card name on the bottom of the card. The cardstock feels flexible, a bit thick, and durable. They have a glossy finish, but I found it is not too sticky. In other words, the cards slide off each other well enough in shuffling and use. The card back image is reversible. The cards measure about 5 inches by 3 1/2 inches. 

Overall, I really like this deck. I enjoyed the author's writing, and I'd consider getting another deck of hers. I like the artist's work, and if you like her art from other decks then you will likely enjoy this one too. It's a nice solid kit with a good readable deck. 

4 out of 5 stars. 
 
On a side note, if interested you can find my review of the Enchanted Map Oracle deck here
You can find a deck interview spread I did with the deck over here. Down the road I will do a deck interview spread with the Energy Oracle Cards.

This kit qualifies for the following 2022 Reading Challenge. 




No comments: