Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Book Review: Lady Mechanika, Volume 6: Sangre

Joe Benitez, et.al., Lady Mechanika, Volume 6: Sangre. Encino, CA: Benitez Productions, 2020. ISBN: 9781949328028.
 
Genre: graphic novels and comics
Subgenre: steampunk, Victoriana
Format: e-book galley
Source: NetGalley 


 
I continue to enjoy this series. Previously I read Lady Mechanika: La Dama de la Muerte (link to my review).  In fact, I listed that one among my top graphic novels read in 2020. So I was happy to find this volume and keep reading her adventures. 

In this volume, Lady Mechanika travels to Spain to protect a baron's son from what may be a demonic entity. However, when she gets there, she finds out it's not just a demonic possession case. The exorcist priest the baron called in may be doing cruel experiments on the boy, experiments the church would not likely approve but that his fathers approves of tacitly. That is not all. There may be a more sinister force at play, one with a connection to the New World. 

This book grabs you from the start. Initially I was not sure what the Mesoamerican prologue had to do with the main story, but soon the author reveals the connection. Once the connection is revealed you can appreciate the story's depth a lot more. Throughout the book, you get great world building and some very good and detailed lore. Clearly some good effort and imagination along with some research went into crafting the story. This story moves along well, has good action, and a lot of detail to keep readers interested. 

As in previous volumes, the art on this is excellent. The art is a great reason to get this volume. There are even some large panels I wish I could get as prints; the art is that good. In addition, if you want to see more of the art, the volume includes a cover gallery of the comics issues making up the volume. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this one, and I will recommend it to anyone who listens. This is a solid selection for libraries with graphic novel collections. I'd buy it for our library. It is also one I would be happy to have in my personal collection. 

5 out of 5 stars. 

Qualifies for the following 2022 Reading Challenge: 



No comments: