Friday, June 24, 2022

Deck Review: Lo Scarabeo Tarot

Mark McElroy (author) and Anna Lazzarini (illustrator), Lo Scarabeo Tarot. Torino, Italy: Lo Scarabeo, 2007. ISBN: 9788883956959. (Link to Llewellyn, the U.S. distributor)
 
Genre: Tarot decks
Subgenre: mashup, study deck, company flagship deck
Format: 78 cards with little white book in basic tuck box
Source: I own this one 


 
Knight of Swords
I used this deck for the first time in January 2022. This is Lo Scarabeo's flagship deck. As I used it over the month I found myself enjoying it. 

The deck comes with the standard 78 cards and a little white book (LWB). As usual with Lo Scarabeo LWB's, this one is written in multiple languages: English, Italian, Spanish, French, and German. The LWB is 63 pages long, but the English part is just 14 pages long. The LWB includes an artist statement-- author is Mark McElroy, and Anna Lazzarini is the illustrator--, a bit on using the deck, and a "divinatory dictionary," which is really a list of keywords for each card. The artist statement explains the deck's vision as a deck that incorporates elements and symbols of Tarot de Marseilles (TdM), Rider Waite Smith (RWS), and Thoth decks. The artist also explains how the cards were scripted using The Fool-0 as example/template. Unfortunately, all we get after that are card keywords. You get one keyword for a light meaning and one keyword for a shadow meaning. 

The author explains this is a study deck, which is good, but he leaves the work to deck users. Author
Justice-XI
writes that "the deck may be used with virtually any divinatory guide, beginner's manual, or instruction" (8). I do agree when the author states this is a good deck for beginners, but I wish the publisher would have made an effort to produce a full book integrating the author's card script notes (if such notes did exist) presenting the cards' symbols and which details come from each deck. However, the decks does well with a good guidebook. I consulted Lyle's book now and then, and it worked well. I feel I could have used a different book like Louis's Tarot Plain and Simple. Feel free to keep your favorite Tarot reference book handy when using this deck. 

The author also writes that "more advanced students will enjoy comparing these cards to their parent decks, identifying the inspirations for the elements found in the Lo Scarabeo illustrations and discussing the merits of the symbolic enhancements integrated into these new cards" (8). On the one hand, that sounded a bit like the publisher was too lazy to create a full book and left the study work to users. On the other hand, and this can be a positive, that study and comparison process can be provide some great Tarot journaling time. That can be a good thing for Tarot users who may prefer avoiding another book they may not use. I leave the decision to readers on where to stand on the companion book issue. 

Four of Swords

Let's look at the cards. Initially, the cards may look like an RWS clone. Then you start using the cards, looking at them closely, and you start to notice symbols and details. You do not have to be familiar with the three parent decks. To be honest, RWS style is predominant, and all cards are fully illustrated. This makes for a good beginner's deck. It also can work for intuitive folks and/or those who work without books. I've used TdM a bit, and I've seen Thoth, though have not studied it, so I can see how folks very familiar with those decks will pick up details here and there. 

The art is reminiscent of graphic novels and comics. I'd say it's similar to decks like the Llewellyn Classic Tarot (link to my review). The art is colorful but not too bright. The art is also very rich in symbols, and the artist pays attention to small details. On the surface, it may look like an RWS clone, but as you use it you start to discover the depth in the details. For me, I found a detail or two, a new idea or two I had not considered before. It's a deck that is not flashy, but it does have substance. This is definitely a good study deck. It is also a good work horse deck. For me, this is a deck I can read easily whether for myself or with other people. As I used it over a month, I enjoyed it and found myself exploring it more and more. This is a deck I really like, and it is one I can see myself using again. I would that if I ever teach Tarot this deck could be a good option. 

Overall this is a very good deck. For me, this can be a reliable daily use deck. It is also a deck I'd recommend. It may appear simple, but it reveals depth the more you use it. I am glad to have it in my collection. 

4 out of 5 stars.

No comments: