Monday, July 04, 2022

Book Review: Space Pirate Captain Harlock

Jérôme Alquié; Reiji Matsumoto, et.al., Captain Harlock: Space Pirate. Portland, OR: Ablaze Publishing, 2022. ISBN: 9781950912544.
 
Genre: manga, comics
Subgenre: science fiction
Format: e-book galley
Source: NetGalley  

 
I grew up watching the anime series, so when I saw this I knew I had to read it. Author Alquié takes Matsumoto's story and art in a new direction that is a sequel to the 1970s original series.  If you watched and enjoyed the original series, you'll probably enjoy this one as well. 

This new adventure is set in the timelines of the original series. Earth is threatened by a new invasion, from the Sylvidres. The invaders are already on Earth; scientists discover a mausoleum belonging to them. Harlock the pirate and his crew must solve the mystery and save Earth, an Earth that wants nothing to do with him nor his crew. 

The series captures the essence of the original. The story has a good plot and pacing. It combines suspense, mystery, and adventure. The art is in full color, and it's so well made you'll feel like you are watching the show again. However, if you have not seen the original, you can still enjoy this series. The story is good enough to stand on its own, plus you get just enough exposition to catch up on previous events. It is a good, fun, entertaining read. 

For me, this is another book going on my list of best reads for the year. It definitely appeals to older fans' nostalgia, but it works well for new readers. If you are looking for something different than the usual hero comics, this is a solid alternative. The narrative draws you in, and the art is a pleasure to view. Additionally, the volume features a good cover gallery.

I highly recommend this for all libraries with graphic novels and comics collections. This is one I would buy for my library, and furthermore I would buy a copy for my personal collection. This is one I would gladly place on readers' hands. 

5 out of 5 stars. 

This book qualifies for the following 2022 Reading Challenge: 



No comments: