Friday, October 28, 2022

Deck Review: Tarot Z

Alejandro Colucci (creator and artist) with Jaymi Elford (writer), Tarot Z. Woodbury, MN: Llewellyn Worldwide, 2019. ISBN: 9780738763453. (link to publisher)
 
Genre: Tarot deck
Subgenre: zombies, horror
Format: Tarot deck with small guidebook 
Source: I bought and own this one.

 
The Empress-III
I first used this deck during the month of June 2022. I had planned to first use this deck during the fall season. However, May 2022 was a pretty bad and rough month, and June 2022 was not looking better, so I decided a very dark Tarot deck was needed. After a bit of reflection, I chose to use the Tarot Z for the daily draws in June 2022, and it worked out well. 

The deck kit comes in a small box with a small guidebook and a 78-card deck. 

Like most standard Lo Scarabeo small guidebooks, this one is written in six languages: English, Italian, Spanish, French, Portuguese, and Russian. Though the book has 128 pages, 59 pages are the English content. The main English text includes a foreword, "Welcome to the Apocalypse," which is a small briefing memo about the zombie apocalypse, and the card meanings. 
 
Now Tarotistas often tell folks to ignore or ditch small companion books. I am not telling my three readers what to do, but I would suggest reading this guidebook. Jaymi Elford, the author, does a good job with the book's text. The author actually develops a good post-apocalyptic story for the deck and cards. In addition to the first two sections in the guidebook, each card entry offers a story for the card and a list of keywords. While the stories are short, they do have detail and substance. The author does this for every card. Yes, even the Minor Arcana cards have a full story. Unlike other little white books (LWB), this small guidebook does not skimp on details about the cards. This small book is a good example of what can be done well with a good writer putting in a good effort. I do recommend that people read the book. It can enhance your interpretation and reading of the cards. 
Three of Pentacles

The cards are great. The art by Alejandro Colucci pays careful attention to detail. It captures the horror, darkness, and decay of a zombie apocalypse, but there is also a bit of room for hope and survival. The art is dark, but it is also colorful and vivid. Some scene can be terrifying, and others can be very moving. Here and there you might even find a small touch of black humor. 

Initially, I was not sure how well I would be able to read with the cards. As I started using them I found my intuition responding. Some cards I read with ease. Others were a bit challenging, but I could still read them. If you read them intuitively, the art has plenty of details to make it work. The art leans a bit into Rider Waite Smith (RWS), but not all the way. Images often depart from RWS and challenge a reader to really think and reflect. I often found myself looking deeply at an image when doing a reading. I would add these cards are good for reflective work and meditation. They may also be good for shadow work if you are willing to go really dark and deep. For me, the more I used the cards, the more I liked them, and the more I appreciated the deck's depth. 

Queen of Swords
The cards measure about 4 3/4 inches by 2 3/4 inches. The art is borderless. The cards are identified by Roman numerals for Major Arcana. Minor Arcana are identified by Arabic numeral and suit symbol. Court cards are identified by court symbol and suit symbol. Cards have a soft gloss which makes them easy to slide and shuffle. The card stock is flexible, not too thick. 

Overall, for me this is one of the best decks I've discovered in 2022. It has detail and depth, and it can really go into dark places. Yet at times can give notes of hope. It can be a good selection for Halloween and the dark time of the year, or just anytime you need a dark deck. Horror genre fans, especially zombie genre fans, will probably appreciate this deck. 

I am very happy to have this deck, and it is one I would get a back up copy. In terms of using it to read for others, I would save it for the dark time of the year or for folks who appreciate horror. Otherwise this is not a deck for casual readings. It is all in all an excellent deck. 

5 out of 5 stars. 

Notes: photos from my deck.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments: