Sunday, March 05, 2023

Reading About The Reading Life: March 5, 2023 edition

Welcome to another edition of "Reading about the reading life" here at The Itinerant Librarian. This is where I collect stories about reading and the reading life. Basically, these are items related to reading, maybe writing and literacy, that I find interesting and think my four readers might find interesting as well with a little commentary. As with other features I do on this blog, I do it when I have time or feel like it. Comments are always welcome (within reason).


Once again, it has been a while since I have done one of these posts. Part of it is that life has gotten busy. Part of it is that I have been focusing a bit more on reading, so a bit less writing, but I am working on getting back on the writing some more. Anyhow, here are some stories I have recently found interesting about the reading life in no particular order. 

  • For many readers, including me, having a big list of books to read, the TBR list, can be challenging. I've made peace with the fact that I will pass on, and I will never read everything on my TBR list. So I read as much as I can when I can. What I miss I miss, oh well, no big deal. Lecturalia offers six tips to reduce your TBR list (Spanish language blog). Tips include: organize your books and set up some rules about any new book purchases. On book purchases, I will say that I am doing a lot less of that lately. Between galleys and advanced reader copies (ARCs) of forthcoming books and access to my local libraries (my academic workplace and my local public library) I have plenty of options when it comes to reading books. I just don't feel a need to buy new or new to me books. When I do buy books I am perfectly good buying second hand books. 
  • Via Oddity Central, a look at the world's largest monastic library, which is located in Austria.
  • Colossal looks at an underground library in Japan.
  • The Conversation takes a look at the history and concept of the beach reading. The article defines beach reading as follows: "Summer reading – or the beach read – is often associated with undemanding, enjoyable narratives: 'middlebrow' literary fiction, thrillers, fantasy novels, historical and contemporary romances. This is even reflected in the physical design of books released in the summer months. Light colours and cheerful covers signal their lack of intimidating seriousness." To be honest, I never think much in terms of summer reading because I read throughout the year, and I read all sorts of things throughout the year. I do not wait for a certain season to read a certain kind of book like many people apparently do. If I feel like reading something undemanding in December, then I read it. Having said that, I am usually not interested in most of the books often considered as beach or summer reading. Still, if you like reading about the history of reading and books the article then is worth reading. 
  • Also via The Conversation, a look at how the pandemic affected reading. Sure, people bought more books during the pandemic, but it did not mean reading got easier for many people. The article highlights research from the book Reading Novels During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
  • Via The Advocate, a look at a book and documentary that shows the Bible did not originally condemn homosexuality. So what happened? Bad translations happened. Read on. 
  • The Reprobate takes a look at some of those lurid paperbacks from the 1970s or so, highlighting "Eric Ericson's World of Esoteric Demonology." To be honest, there are one or two books here I would not mind reading down the road. 
  • The Fine Books and Collections blog takes a look at book disasters. These are stories of rare books lost in various disasters. 
  • Also from The Fine Books and Collection blog a look at the top ten bestsellers from 1922, a century ago. 
  • Via Aeon, turns out that distractions during reading are not a new issue. It is not just the electronic devices distracting readers. Readers have faced all sorts of distractions, intentional or not, when reading.

 


 


No comments: